2004 Hyundai Elantra GT - Piston in Caliper for rear brakes will not compress

I own a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GT. I was changing my rear brake pads and could not get the piston to compress. I tried using a C-Clamp and it would'nt budge. Do I need a special tool, is there a trick, what am I missing?

Reply to
ericvallejo5000

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1185283577.301587.158220@

57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:

I'm speaking from experience on other cars, but I believe the rear calipers have pistons that need to be screwed in. There may or may not be a special tool to do this on the Elantra. I'm sure HT will be along at some point to give the exact answer.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

You're exactly correct, Eric. There's a special tool to screw in the caliper pistion. See the post by Deck below.

Reply to
hyundaitech

The below is HT's reply to an 03 Elantra posted on 7-19

"You won't need a special tool for the front.

The calipers that need to have the piston screwed back in are the ones that have the parking brake assembly as part of the caliper. If you have rear disc, you'll find such calipers on the rear of your car. I've heard of people screwing them in without a special tool, but trust me, you'll be much happier with the tool. There are a couple different types. Your local Sears or parts supplier should be able to show you at least one type of tool for this."

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jp103

Reply to