2006 Elantra GLS Sedan Trunk Light

We recently purchased a 2006 Elantra GLS 4-door sedan, and so far with the exception of some road/tire noise emanating from the right-rear door area, we like it fine (Note: I will comment on this at the end of this post).

My wife noted the trunk light is rather dim, and the trunk illumination is rather poor. I checked the lamp information in the Owner's Manual. The sedan uses a 5W bulb, whereas the hatchback uses a 10W bulb. Both use the same fixture, although located in different points within the trunk area. At 12VDC a 5W bulb pulls 416ma, and a 10W bulb 833ma. I would think it would be OK to replace the 5W bulb with a 10W, especially since circuit seems to have substantial reserve capacity. I guess my only concern is the wiring to the fixture. Any comments here?

Re. the road/tire noise . . . it's seems to be coming from around the right-rear door, and I noticed once we got home after delivery, the door (rear edge portion which mates with the body) isn't exactly flush with the body when fully closed as the left-rear door. Rather, it protrudes just a bit - not much, but just a little bit. Perhaps a slight inward adjustment of the striker plate on the jam is in order. My guess is that the seals are not making full contact on the door and body respectively. Again, any comments would certainly be appreciated.

Don

Reply to
w9cw

Can't throw a lot of enlightenment on the door noise but my wife had a similar problem (06 Sonata GLS) with the drivers door, she said it was a periodic low pitched rattle/vibration. We were going to comment on it when we brought it in for the first time, but it just went away????.......Doc

Reply to
Dr.Colon.Oscopy

I doubt you'll have any problem with the 10W bulb.

And I think you may be right on track with the noise and the door.

Reply to
hyundaitech