PING --> bill hughes

hi bill, how about that link that shows the toyota before and after solid axle conversion? thanks!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Was this the one you were thinking of Nate ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

nevermind.

i found it on yourlinks page bill, thanks.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

This is an excellent link and a great example of a biased or "slanted" opinion and/or an unfair comparison. Please read on before you get pissed:

Look at the placement of the left front tire on each picture. On the right picture, we see the tire firmly planted on a relatively flat parallel surface yet on the left picture we see the tire pressing directly on the edge of a slanted, sharp edge. Heck, even the wheels are turned slightly inward and left which would definately help slam the right front tire into the ground. Don't get me wrong, solid is better and makes more sense off-road but this is hardly the same line taken in each photo. I'll betcha if the tire placement was the same in each picture there wouldn't be such a dramatic difference. Heck, the IFS picture might even show the right front touching the ground. I would also venture to guess that alot of this would also depend on the weight or balance of the rig, wheel base, and flex of the rear suspension.

In closing, I can make my my solid axle YJ do the same thing as the picture on the right with the front sway bars connected and only me in the Jeep if I hit that rock the same way. IFS just isn't the evil red-headed stepchild it's rumored to be...

Constructive comments alway welcome (helps educate me), Brian

Reply to
bjc

hi brian, thats because when one side of the axle flexes/drops/extends, the tire on the other side has to lean down. thats just the nature of a solid axle, there is nothing "suspicious" going on in those photos.

please tell me youve been drinking tonight. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier