2006 Sonata AC

Did they find the dash squeak? Mine is still elusive. I didn't have any problem with the headliner coming loose, but they did the "recall" to it within a week of me buying the car so they likely pre-empted the failure with the extra adhesive they added.

The tank sloshing is a design issue not a build issue.

I think the LX has the windows with a higher level of tint. I'd have to go find my brochure, but I believe that the two higher end models came standard with a higher level of window tint. And that may be the difference between my GL and the others who have posted here.

I just came back from some extended errand running and took along a thermometer and did some primitive testing. It is 92F here today with humidity levels probably in the 70-85% range judging from how hazy the mountains were in the distance. Here are the results:

  1. After 20 minutes of driving on the highway at 55-60 mph, with the AC temp on the coldest setting, fan on 1 and outside air selected, the temperature at the right center dash outlet was 42F. I don't have a thermometer that I can stick into the outlet, so we held one up against the face of the outlet (the plastic housing around the thermometer was too big to fit into the outlet).
  2. After a stop, we drove another 15 miles at the same speeds and the same settings other than the fan speed set on 3. The temp only got down to 52F in this configuration.
  3. On the way home, I drove non-stop for more than 30 minutes with the settings above other than using fan speed 2. I placed the thermometer on the center console beverage holder door. When I got home, the temp was still 80F at console level. I don't know what it was at head level, but likely a couple of degrees warmer. Only being able to drop the temperature 12 degrees below ambient after 30 minutes of driving just doesn't impress me.

It appears that the AC is functioning per specification judging from the outlet temps, but it just can't remove heat fast enough on a hot and sunny day. I'm now wondering if the combination of the low-end window treatment and the blue exterior color is the reason. Any others out there with a GL model that are willing to share their AC experience?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I just downloaded the ebrochure and it says that the GL and GLS have "tinted glass", but the GLS V-6 and the LX also have "solar control", whatever that is. It may well be that this is essential to having good AC performance and my GL doesn't have that window treatment. I'm pretty sure my Chevy truck doesn't either, but my minivan has pretty heavily tinted windows.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Sorry, don't know, we didn't buy the gray one I test drove.....for she who decided it was to be *her* car after all opted for black instead.

They told me that the headliner issue was specific to cars from the new plant in Alabama and also that my build date was after the problem had been corrected.

Either way, I still can't replicate the noise.....and believe me, I've tried, with a variety of other folks in the car thinking it may just be outside of my range of hearing.

Could be, although compared to my Chevy truck, the Sonata windows look darn close to clear. I can see just the barest hint of tinting when the doors are open, and that may be some of the difference.....but again, this is a Black car and it get's hot enough inside that the seats will quickly get the attention of any exposed skin areas, as just happend to me on quick trip to town just now. It cools down very quickly once your up and running. I took a little drive a few minutes ago and at startup, the system showed an outside temp of 96F.I didn't have a thermometer with me, but as I said, hot enough inside to burn the crap out of my legs and was wishing for seat coolers :-) I set the unit on Auto with a desired temp of 67F and it took 3 minutes and

21 seconds before the fan speed dropped from high to low, which, and I'm just guessing here, means that the sensor reads that the desired temp has been met and the system has switched into maintain mode. (At 55MPH, the outside temp registered at 93F at the point the fan speed was dropped.

It still sounds to me that there's something not quite right with yours. Have you had the dealer check to see if maybe there is some kind of blockage in the ductwork restricting flow. I bought a new Mustang in 1981 and found a piece of plastic crammed up inside the main diverter box that severely restricted the flow......but it also made one heck of a noise as well so was easy to diagnose.

KW

Reply to
KW

There are ways to block a fair bit of the IR without having a dark tint as in the old days.

No, I haven't taken it in yet as it just got hot 3 days ago for me to really see what the AC could do. I'll have to stop by and have them take a look.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:Lcqfg.9193$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Matt, do you have a set of gauges? If so, I could throw my set on and measure the high and low pressure sides. It is entirely possible that you have TOO MUCH freon in the system. That would cause the compressor to short-cycle (cut out on high pressure) and give you warmer than "normal" discharge temps.

If you have too LITTLE freon in the system, you would likely get colder than normal discharge air for a while, the the coil would freeze up and you would get only warm air.

I have the solar blocking glass in my GLS V6, which as you said might account for some of the difference.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I have tried that "fresh air" setting over the years, but all I get is the smell of exhaust and dead dogs and such. I think they should re-name that setting to "outside air". :)

Reply to
Bob Adkins

No, I have no AC equipment. I'll let the dealer have a look since it is under warranty.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

That is one good thing about living where I live; the air is still fairly decent. We do occasionally get what we call "that fresh country air" when the local farmers spread manure. It usually doesn't last all that long, however.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting