2006 Sonata V-6 Paint Problem

I have a 2006 Sonata V-6, bought last May, color crystal silver. the paint is "bubbling" inside the 4 doors, under the hood and under the trunk. The bubbles are soft, like if the paint didn't dry. The bubbles are located inside the doors, near the trim where the sheet steel is folded and welded. My hyundai dealer said "no problem, we will fix it" but I just don't want a brand new car been sanded and re-painted.

Anybody experienced this? What should I do, as I don't want it to be re-painted?

Thanks for advices

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

You don't want the paint, yet you don't want it repainted. What is your suggestion for a fix? They sure as hell will not be giving you a new car.

While factory paint is usually pretty good compared to the corner body shop, there are many shops with sophisticated equipment for spraying, ovens for drying that will out do just about any factory. Find out who is going to do the work and check them out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" a écrit dans le message de news: %2IPg.3077$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

As long as it costs me 0$, there is no big deal. I do not expect a new car, but maybe some kind of "gift". But my basic question is "does anybody experienced the same problems with their new Sonata V6 2006 color crystal silver"?

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

Why not? Getting it painted is every bit as good as the factory paint job. I do agree that you should not be experiencing this problem on a new car, but things do happen.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
razz

There is no choice if you want it fixed. This is very likely caused by surface contamination that was cleaned off prior to painting. It has prevented the paint from adhering properly. The only fix is to sand to bare metal and repaint. Yes, I always hate to have the paint touched on a new car also as it never looks quite the same.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've seen few paint shops, other than very expensive custom car shops, that can match the quality of todays factory paint. And no matter how good, it is hard to match the color exactly given the weathering that has occurred already. And silver is particularly hard to match.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've shot many gallons of paint Matt, today's paints do indeed match the quality of the factory paint. Hell, almost anyone can shoot a paint that will bubble off - that's a pretty good replication of the factory quality. Seriously though - today's base and clear urethanes produce a paint job that is every bit as good as what comes from the factory. Custom car shops typically use the same paint systems as the shop down the road, unless they are doing something unique like a restoration, and in the name of the restoration they are using period paints.

Matching color is a matter of technique and product choice. There are products out there by manufacturers which specialize in precise color matches and they are very good matches. Nothing makes an absolutely perfect match owing to variations in formulas (both at the factory and in the aftermarket), and other factors, but the variations are quite minimal. Blending takes care of this and results in a paint job that well matches the factory paint.

Most of us know that the re-paint occured, and we "can see" it forever in our minds. What we don't notice is that you can see variations in the factory paint across the car. Those variations we accept because that's the way the car came. The re-painted area bugs us simply because we know it's there and we become convinced it's not the same as the rest of the car.

Then of course, there's bad paint jobs...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No that's funny.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do you have any documentation that you reported this before the end of warranty? If so, you have a very good case. I've had warranty work done twice when something was reported, but not fixed, under the normal terms. This was a case of the dealer not being able to find the problem until later.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Matt,

It's not hard to beat factory paint these days. Factories are at a huge disadvantage to small body shops. The factories must worry about cost, weight, and emissions. You usually end up with a much thicker, more durable paint job than factory. With modern paints, it's all in the prep. A new car with no damage should be a snap to do a great prep job.

I'm just wondering if a couple of more coats of clearcoat wouldn't pay you dividends on any new car these days. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Reply to
razz

That's my point. I know sometimes shit happens, but on a brand new car... How come the guys at the plant have done this? And what about Quality Control??

Shaman

"Bob Adkins" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Shaman

Well, you found this normal? A brand new car, about near 30000$, with taxes... I know sometimes shit happens, and I know it's not a 70000$ car, but can we expect some quality in what we buy? What about the quality control guys at this Hyundai plant? And, if I am not mistaken, this is a new pplant, in Alabama, USA, not in Mexico where we can expect this kind of "cheap labor problems"

Shaman

"Edwin Pawlowski" a écrit dans le message de news: OKSPg.2323$x11.836@trndny02...

Reply to
Shaman
< Hyundai refuses to cover their f*ck

The part that surprises me the most about this is that the dealership won't do it for free for a good return customer. Or - are you saying that you buy new cars every five years, but don't have a history with this dealer? Seems to me that any dealer who knew you as a 5 year return customer would gladly eat the hundred bucks necessary to cover the work.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

No, I did not say it is normal. I do expect that they would fix it. What is funny to me is that you expect a gift of some sort. Poor quality can come from any plant and while it should not happen, it does. Reputable companies make good.

I bought a Hyundai (pick it up tonight) because of my problems with a Buick that costs considerably more. I started being dissatisfied when the front seat heater went out and it was less than 3 years, but more than 36k so they wanted $576 to fix it. Then it was the transmission, two power windows, cruise control switch, coupled with rotors, wheel bearing, sensors and little stuff like that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

This is my first Hyundai. The dealership owner owns other dealerships and knows I've bought from him before. Plus a relative does allot of business with him also. Regardless, Documented proof that their is no primer on the handles very well indicate that this is a factory f*ck up. I don't care who covers the cost, which is more than a hundred bucks, to do it properly the door interior trim panels have to come off so that the handles and door locks can be removed from the door to properly paint them. Its how the whole situation was handled from Hyundai to the dealership.

Reply to
razz

I shot a few gallons in my younger days as well. However, and my wife can verify this, I can walk around a car and tell you with almost 100% accuracy if it has been repainted in whole or in part. It is hard to say for sure why, I can just tell.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Yes, the bumper to bumper covers most everything, but they probably figure the paint is outside the bumpers and not covered :)

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The car makers are really up against it. If weight and emissions were no problem, the paint would doubtless be better. It's super expensive to paint cars, even at the factory. Paint must be an expensive, low emission type, maybe even water-based. Every little bit of paint must be controlled and disposed of in a very expensive manner. Waste paint disposal is probably more costly than the paint itself.

Small shops don't fall under the same restrictions. They can use more volatile and dangerous types of paint, and their cleanup is not monitored in most areas. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins