2006 Sonata V-6 Paint Problem ---> Follow-up

Hi guys,

I met the Hyundai representative regarding the paint bubbling inside the doors. His answer: This is absolutely normal, as there is a silicone joint there, and the bubbles are in the silicone, not in the paint, and the softness is also caused by the silicone.

What you guys are thinking about this, and, for those who have a 2006 Sonata, do you see the same thin inside your doors, where the metal sheet is soldered?

I will see an independent body shop for an exam.

Any advice on this issue? As I never seen silicone there on other vehicles I owned.

Shaman

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

If there is silicone there, then it would be quite normal to see paint adhesion problems. Silicone is the arch enemy of paint. It will never stick to silicone and often, not to where silicone was since silicone is about impervious to solvents.

Perhaps it's not silicone but instead, seam sealer. Paint generally sticks well to seam sealer though.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Seam sealer... possible... but they told me silicone...

I don't know "seam sealer". Is it soft to touch?

Shaman

"Mike Marlow" a écrit dans le message de news:

1780e$45144d19$471fbb6d$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET...
Reply to
Shaman

Different types do stay soft to the touch. Some get harder - though not as hard as the steel. Most do not stay "pushy". They aren't soft.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Not knowing exactly where the bubbles are, I can't comment. However, I have had other cars with sealant on some of the body seams and the sealant was painted over so this at least sounds plausible.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Try posting a link to pictures.

Reply to
avn

Good Idea!

Here it is, hope you will see it.

Shaman

"avn" a écrit dans le message de news: VlcRg.20182$KA6.6717@clgrps12...

Reply to
Shaman

"Matt Whiting" a écrit dans le message de news: k7ZQg.1444$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net...

Here is a pic, hope you will see something on it.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

The picture isn't the best, but I'd say from looking at it that the explanation you were given is likely correct. Personally, I think it isn't a big deal, but then it isn't my car.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

"Matt Whiting" a écrit dans le message de news: I0iRg.1458$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net...

Thanks for your opinion.

Shaman

Reply to
Shaman

I think it may be as described, but it sure does look crappy. I'd be sure it is documented with the dealer/Hyundai and keep an eye on it for a while.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski