2006 Sonata door handles turning dull

The door handles and the fairing pieces behind the handles on my 2006 Sonata are turning dull and changing color slightly. Has anyone else had this problem?

When I bought the car in 2005, the dealer asked me to bring it back shortly after I bought it for several "recalls" (what they called them, but no recalls in the legal sense). One of them was to replace the fairing pieces behind the door handles. He said he had no idea why they had to replace them as the new ones looked identical to the old ones, but I think now I see why. The fairings on the front doors are not turning dull and still match the paint well. However, the door handles themselves are turning dull and changing color and both handles and fairings on the rear doors are doing likewise. Apparently, they replaced only the front fairings during the "recall."

It appears that the paint they used on these parts (or the color in the plastic - I can't tell for sure if they are painted or not) doesn't deal well with UV and/or weather.

I have to look up the warranty coverage again, but I'm guessing this won't be covered as the car is more than 3 years old now and has 47,000 miles. They sure are starting to look ugly though and this isn't a very good advertisement for Hyundai.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

I don't deal with paint warranty very often, so I'd have to look this up to be sure, but I think it's 3 years/36k miles.

The reason for the recall on the door handle trims was that the door handles would stick in the out position if you pulled back on them slightly when opening the door.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I imagine it fall under the paint category Following components covered for time and mileage limits indicated:

- Radio And Sound Systems (i.e. radio, cassette tape drive mechanism, and compact disc player): 3 years / 36,000 miles

- Paint: 3 years/ 36,000 miles

OTOH, since it appears it was a know issue, they may do something to help you. Just curious, what color do you have? I wonder if it was all of them or just certain colors that went bad.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't recall the exact Hyundai color name, but it is a "gun metal blue" color. Wait, I think I have a bottle of touch-up paint here somewhere. Stand by...

Well, the bottle has no color name on it. The top of the lid has "00253-F6000" and under that "D3" in larger letters. The label wrapped around it has "30805" on it. The rest appears to just be directions and warnings from the Federation ... er, uh, state of CA.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager