2017 Elantra Automatic question

Is there a way to change gears....speicifically to put the car from park to neutral without starting the engine? Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

Theoretically, it is already in neutral when Park is engaged. Difference being the pawl in the transmission is engaged and will not allow the car to move.

I don't know on your car specifically, but have you tried pushing the brake pedal and moving the lever? If that does not work, put the ignition in the "ON" position to activate the electronics and that may allow you to shift from park.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I definitely tried the "on" position, I was surpruised that didn't work.Thanks, I think I pressed the brake, but not sure...so i will definitely try....thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

Does anyone know anything about the Genesis Cougar car. I found only one small reference to it online, but can't really find any info. I suspect maybe it was not made for The USA market. I often pass one in my neighborhood when walking the dog, and it intruigues me. It is Genesis without any Hyundai logos on it, so it can't be very old. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
jtees4

Does anyone know anything about the Genesis Cougar car. I found only one small reference to it online, but can't really find any info. I suspect maybe it was not made for The USA market. I often pass one in my neighborhood when walking the dog, and it intruigues me. It is Genesis without any Hyundai logos on it, so it can't be very old. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
jtees4

It is certainly not a US or Canadian model. What country are you in?

Present US models of Genesis are G70. G80. G90

Genesis was split off from Hyundai in 2016 as a separate car brand, like Lexus/Toyota or Acura/Honda

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I live on Long Island NY, Suffolk County. I have yet to see someone near the car, or I would simply ask them. This is the only mention I found on the internet....and it has California plates. The one near me has the same shape, same badges, don't think it has a spoiler. It's also black, very plain no chrome.

jtees4

Not something needed every day, but it just came up. Can my 2017 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 be shifted with the engine off? I know I used to be able to do this with my other Hyundais. Just to move the car a few feet without starting it, shifting into neutral.

Reply to
jtees4

What have you tried so far? On my 06 I can turn the key to on then put the shift in any gear except park and turn the key back off.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Good question, I don't remember. My car has the push button start, and I probably didn't have the key with me....so I could not have started it if I wanted to, and I assume I couldn't turn the key on to accessory either. I have to check next time I get a chance. Maybe I do need to have "the key" with me to do it, which wouldn't be idea if I am simply in my driveway outside, but then again at least I'd be able to do it. Maybe.

Reply to
jtees4

IIRC, nothing activates without the key.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Yes, it works with the key "turned on", but with the car not started. The quotes was only because my car has the keyless start, but the key does have to in my pocket. I could have sworn my older Elantra's (03,07, and even 14) could do it without a key at all....but I must be mistaken. Thanks, tried it this morning and it worked just to be sure.

Reply to
jtees4

On most older (pre-push button start) there was a tiny covered access hole on the shifter console to allow you to bypass the shift interlock mechanism to get the AT out of Park using a thin screwdriver or something similar to press a release lever. This is necessary if the battery is dead and you need to move the car. I'm sure something similar exists on push- button start cars. Check the owner's manual.

Reply to
Bob

Yes, I had those on older Hyundais, and it is still there on my 2017 Elantra (though I have not taken it off). If memory serves, those were for shifting between reverse and drive for heavy snow situations when you got stuck. I actually did look at my manual for that, it didn't really explain much....but I will check to see if it in fact does what you suggest, in which case it would be great for me.

Reply to
jtees4