'96 Elantra

My car will run for between 5 and 10 minutes, then it just shuts off. It does not sputter or anything just dies. I have replaced to fan, ignition coil, and fuel filter. I had to replace the transmittion last year. Any ideas what is wrong.

Reply to
dhutch

I'd primarily suspect the crank sensor. But there are many possibilities. Check for codes first. If none, you may wish to verify things like the fuel pressure and whether the check engine lamp illuminates for a few seconds when the key is turned to the on position.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm not saying anything bad. I seriously wonder if anyone can tell me what is wrong. I have had 4 mechanics look at it and none of them know what to tell me. I have not been able to drive it since May and would really like to be able to again. I was just giving all of the details, that way someone might be able to help me.

Reply to
dhutch

If this problem occurs for the mechanics and they cannot find the issue, you're taking the car to the wrong mechanics. Once you've got the proper tools, it's pretty much a process of elimination using logical reasoning. While the condition is occurring, we should be able to check the following and determine the nature of the problem:

  1. Is there fuel pressure?
  2. Do we have ECM function?
  3. Do we have spark?
  4. Do we have injector pulse?
  5. Do we have proper cam timing?
  6. Do we have compression?
  7. Will the fuel burn?
  8. Do we have any DTC's?
  9. Are all the fuel management sensors/actuators operating properly?

If I had the answer to your problem, I'd be happy to give it. The reason I can't is that there are too many possibilities and unknowns. Once some basic diagnosis is done and we know the system having the problem (fuel, ignition, etc.) is present, then we can narrow the scope to those things that could cause the sort of problem you have. Without that, the field is pretty wide open.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank You. Since I originally posted I have had it hooked up to a computer and the computer did not show any problems but I am having the same problems. What would you do as the next step?

Reply to
dhutch

I'd wait until it stops running again and then check to see if the check engine lamp will illuminate when the key is turned to the "on" position. If it comes on, then test to see if it has spark and fuel pressure. If both those are okay, I'd check for injector pulse next. The whole idea is to figure out the nature of why the car isn't running so you can then move on to specific components that could cause that type issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech