97 elantra front brakes

When attempting to change the brake pads, we stripped a lug nut. After cutting nut off we cut the stud. We could not remove the hub. How do we get the hub off so we can replace that stud? We removed all the obvious bolts, but still it wouldn't come off with much banging, prying, and turmoil. Now I'll be driving with 3 lugs. Is that safe?

Reply to
atreyu

thats like asking if it is safe to drive with yer eyes covered....

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

"atreyu" wrote in news:8c8bc015cf213873aba23b89583c9c81 @localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Driving with 3 lugs on a 4 lug pattern IS considered safe. I had to do it for a while too and did not have any problems.

Reply to
Eric G.

It most certainly is not considered safe to be driving on only three of four lugs.

Do not remove the wheel hub to replace the stud. You'll need to replace the hub bearing as well if you do that. Instead, remove the brake caliper. Rotate the hub so the stud is positioned near where the caliper was. Using a large hammer, hammer the stud out through the back side where the caliper was. Insert the new stud from the rear and drive in with a hammer and punch (or air hammer if you have one). Then reinstall the caliper and wheel and new nut.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I'm not saying you are wrong, Hyundaitech, but when one of my wheel studs broke off on my 2003 Elantra, I called 3 different tire shops and asked about driving on 3 out of 4 wheel studs. They all told me exactly the same thing and I believe one was reading it from a DOT handbook.

I don't recommend doing it if you don't really HAVE to, but I was unable to make the repair myself, and towing to a shop was not an option.

Of course if they told me it wasn't safe, I would have found a way to tow it :-)

"hyundaitech" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Reply to
Eric G.

Reply to
oshkoshman

Hyundaitech, you are most cetainly mistaken! I am right now in the middle of changeing lugs bolts on the front of a 1997 Hyunai Elantra. Man it's terrible! You have to take eveything apart down to the steering knuckle. Take the steering knuckle off and to a machine shop to press the hub off. If I could have just replaced the lugs nuts I would have but you can't unless you pull everything apart. You just can't drive the lugs out and put new ones in theres not enough room to install the new one they're too long.

Reply to
oshkoshman