wheel stud/ lug nut problem

I wanted to rotate my tires, but one lug nut does not want to come off/ remove. I think that the teeth on the wheel stud is broken so the lug nut cannot be removed. i know that i can use an air impact gun to remove it, but it will make the teeth on the wheel stud worse. Can i re-surface the teeth, or do i need to replace the wheel stud. And if i need to replace the stud, how do i do it? i have a 96 corolla

Reply to
kimiga

I doubt if the threads (not "teeth") on the wheel stud are broken because a stripped thread usually prevents installation and tightening, not removal.

I'd try an impact gun to remove the lug nut.

Studs are generally pretty inexpensive, under $10.00 and you can replace it yourself.

Reply to
Ray O

He could mean the teeth that hold the stud into the wheel spindle as opposed the threads. If they've all stripped off on one lug bolt, it'll spin even if you use an air wrench.

Hint: If the stud really is spinning, get a dremmel with a cutting wheel and cut the equivalent of a screw slot in the back of the stud wide enough and just deep enough to hold it with a screw driver. Holding the screw driver with a wrench if it has a place for it, or vice grips, have someone else spin loose the lug nut.

It'll take a lot less time than cutting off the lug nut.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Good point - I hadn't thought of the possibility that the stud was spinning along with the lug nut.

Reply to
Ray O

If the end sticks out far enough, he may be able to get a visegrip on it.

Reply to
Rastamon

Hopefully, you mean in the back. Crimping the threads will make it harder to get the nut to clear (he may have capped ends anyway)

The "second" option is to cut the back head off and use a punch to push the bold with the nut intact through. All of these assume the bolt is spinning. If the nut is spinning but not the bolt, cutting it parallel to the nut on two sides, effectively splitting it in half is the usual solution. Still need to replace the stud.

One last tip: If you replace one, replace them all. Nuts too. No sense having the same thing happening again on another nut/bolt later.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Yeah I meant the back, since that was previously mentioned. A nut splitter would work if he does not have alloy rims.

Reply to
Rastamon