Accent 2000 - sparodic surging of idle speed

My 1.5 L manual Accent 2000 - the idle speed when stationary sometimes suddenly starts to surge by itsself. I tap the acelarater to try and clear it but this usullay results in the idle speed increasing further. I need to turn the engine off and restart which corrects the problem.

I took it to a mechanic who did a quick check for me. He checked the codes which seemed OK and then he blew out some of the throttle mechanism in case there was some dirt - this seemed to do the trick but after two days the problem has reoccured.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated Thanks David

Reply to
djs

You should probably take it to a mechanic who is more skilled with Hyundais. A "quick scan" and a few magic incantations seldom really do much to fix problems with cars.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'd primarily suspect the throttle position sensor. If the feedback from the sensor is higher than normal at idle, that'll cause the engine RPM to increase.

Reply to
hyundaitech