Rover 214 - Erratic Tacho At Idle

Hello, My Rover 214 recently started exhibiting problems with starting/running during damp weather. The engine would start ok. For the first few minutes of running, until the engine had dried out the electrics, I would occassionally get some hesitation, and an unwillingness to accelerate. A new set of leads seems to have solved the problem, but a new symptom has appeared.

Both yesterday and today, while stationary at traffic lights, the tacho needle would suddenly jump from idle speed up to 1500rpm, then just as suddenly drop back. this would then repeat. Although the needle jumped around, there was no accompanying rise in engine revs, as I've seen happen when the crank sensor has failed in the past. If I pressed the accelerator, the revs would rise to about 1500, and the needle would hold steady.

This symptom has only occurred within the first few minutes of starting my journey, so I think it could still be to do with damp electrics.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks, John

Reply to
John

the favourite on those is the rotor arm, a very frequent faulty part. so one of those is in order just in case. I also had one in where the coil lead was tight against a metal bracket and was shorting sometimes. (this was on the model where the coil is on the back of the engine) a re-route cured that completely, the owner would not believe it was fixed till he tried it out! he had replaced umpteen items trying to stop the rough running it had caused.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Rotor arm, and probably cap also. Make sure you buy the same brand of each as they are meant to be matched.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll replace the rotor arm and dizzy cap.

John

Reply to
John