2002 Elantra warranty (maybe)

My neighbor just bought a 2002 Elantra. It was in an accident and it has a restored title. It has 15,000 original miles. Does he have any warranty left on this Elantra???

Reply to
mule

What is a restored title? There are salvage titles, but I've never heard of a restored title. I would doubt (but I sure don't know...) that a salvage car would have any manufacturer's warranty.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If your neighbor is okay with you posting the VIN, I can run it and let you know what Hyundai says.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks Hyundaitech, He is driving it to Memphis right now, when he gets back I will ask him for the VIN. (I guess it is called a "salvage" title)

mule

Reply to
mule

In that case, there's probably no warranty, but it cannot hurt to check.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have an original '04 GT Elantra with 38,000 mi and they will not honor any warranty on anything so far! They tell me most everything is only 36000 mi. warranty. Paint is peeling off, stereo dials turns up the volume when turning down, sun-roof leaks etc etc etc. They tell me it is supposed to leak. ;-) Edmond, Oklahoma Hyundai

Reply to
timbuk2

At the risk of sounding callous - that's the way warranties work. They only cover what is specified in the warranty agreement. Kinda sucks, when something like paint fails, but that's the way it is. I guess the upside is that you can be glad the real warranty coverage hasn't been needed.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Yes that is the way warranties work. However, if you first report an issue prior to the expiration, they will usually honor it past the warranty period if they weren't able to address it adequately prior to warranty end. Were all of the problems listed above things that cropped up in just the last 2000 miles? That seems incredulous to me, but I guess anything is possible.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

IF the vehicle was salvaged their is no way you are going to get wty repairs NEVER BUY A SALVAGED VEHICLE UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE BEFORE PICTURES SALVAGED VEHICLE HAS ZERO RESALE VALUE

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

Pretty much correct. Salvage titles mean one thing - the car was declared to be junk before it was fixed up for sale.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Also, I strongly suggest bypassing the dealer and going right to Hyundai Customer Service. You'll get more out of them than you will out of the dealer.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Good advice but obviously the posters friend bought one so there must be SOME resale value ;)

Reply to
nolife