Anyone with an OLD Sonata want some free parts?

I am actually sad to say I'm giving up on my 1990 Sonata. Over

414,000 miles. I'd say we got our money's worth!! It was still in service back in March when we bought the new 2008. Used the two in parallel for only 3-4 weeks when the old one blew a head gasket. Took me until now to throw in the towel. I could fix it, of course, but there is a list of reasons why not to. The new car is a base model, but I tell you - try upgrading by 18 model years sometime and you'll think you're in a new Mercedes!

Enough about that.

I do the evilbay thing and see there isn't any demand for these old parts, so I"m not going to bother listing them. I have some new stuff, and some good used stuff that I would like to give to anyone who is still running a 1990 (probably '89 too) Sonata. Just pay for the shipping. If you are local (Maryland zip 21742) , you are welcome to pick up. Here is a short list off the top of my head, there is more:

-reman power steering rack, still in the box

-new pair of struts, pretty sure for the front, would have to look

-various new OEM seals (crank, cam, balance shaft)

-some used but usable clutch frictions for the KM175

-some new KM175 seals

-might be a new ball joint, I usually kept one on hand

-etc.

Let me know if there is any interest. I send stuff out via UPS all the time. Send me your address and I'll get you a shipping quote. Note: as you can imagine, this is not my top priority. So please don't expect same day service! :-) If anyone replies, I'll take a walk back to the shop and email you a more thorough list of the used stuff.

Reply to
c.how2bserious

There aren't many of these on the road anymore, and unfortunately, most of the items you've listed are for this model only.

The seals and trans parts are somewhat more universal, however, since the car has a Mitsubishi powertrain. Still, that engine and transmission haven't been used in anything for quite a large number of years.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Perhaps the OP could tell us how often he changed the timing belt since the subject has become a point of contention in this group.

Reply to
Michael Golden

Every 60K I took it off the road for a round of "major maintenance" that always included the timing belt.

Every other timing belt job I'd replace the water pump, metal coolant rail behind the manifold, and seals on the front of the engine. I usually had a list of other things to check/fix when I did this. A few times I'd repaint whatever happened to be peeling, maybe replaced all cooling hoses twice over the 18 years of ownership, etc.

The old girl only ever left me stranded twice. 1st time was a freak thing: the splines on the torque converter that mate with the input shaft just gave out. As you may know those splines are permanently mated once the transmission is installed. They never move or engage/disengage. Definitely not a "wear item". 2nd time, just 3-4 years ago, the really short rubber hose between the fuel tank and the car's hard lines burst.

I am going to miss this car. I'm keeping the speedo cluster as a memento.

FWIW, I'm not fixing it because I am too involved in other projects, and I could feel that the torque converter lockup clutch was starting to go (again) and that's big bucks. Also started having some niggling little electrical "issues" right there at the end. I guess I want to go out on a high point, not suffer/struggle with it and ruin my high opinion of it. In a way, I guess I was looking for an "out". Really ironic how it bowed out just a few weeks after the new one showed up. As if it knew it's job here was done.

No regrets.

Reply to
c.how2bserious