attn Hyundaitech: 02 Sonata GLS "Output Speed Sensor"

I got my timing belt changed out today and used the Gates belt you recommended. All went smoothly. Thanks. The service manager noted that I needed to get my Output Speed Senor fixed. The thing is, when I had my trans flushed and serviced by the dealership about 5500 miles ago, I noted that I'd been feeling the trans rev a little higher before it engages the next higher gear during acceleration. I don't know if the technical term for it is flare but it's been doing that since around

65000 miles. Isn't this part of the trans / powertain and if so, covered under the warranty?

- Thee Chicago Wolf

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf

Unfortunately, although the output speed sensor bolts onto the transmission, it isn't considered part of the powertrain. The good news is that it's fairly simple to do, so the price won't hurt you too bad.

A flare is when the engine rpm's raise and then lower during the process of an upshift, i.e. a very brief slippage between gears.

I'm not sure what you're describing, and it may be that you seem to notice the engine rpms higher than they were previously prior to shifting. Many factors influence the shift point, including throttle application, vehicle speed, and of course, engine rpm.

In any event, since we know you need the output speed sensor, I wouldn't get too alarmed unless you fix that issue and the other problem still remains.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech