Auto trans question on 04 Sonata

My Hyundai dealer tells me this is normal, but I was wondering what some other Hyundai owners think. My Sonata never seems to downshift into 2nd gear, It will drop right from 3rd into 1st. Makes it kind of sluggish when I'm in 3rd and should be in 2nd.

For example, when I pull up to a red light, and I'm going about 5- mph and the light changes, I'm still in 3rd gear, and if I'm on a hill,I have no power. To prove my point, I put the transmission into Shiftronic (or whatever it's called) and I can actually watch it downshift. from 4th, into 3rd, VERY rarely into 2nd, then into 1st. But 99% of the time, it goes from 3rd, and never into 2nd, and drops right into 1st.

Could some other Sonata owners let me know if their Sonata does the same, or does it shift like a normal transmission should?

I just spent $451 on my 30,000 mile checkup. Had a bad speed sensor, or something, but that didn't correct the problem.

Reply to
me

When in shiftronic, your car won't downshift like it normally does. Based on your description, I have some concern, but don't have a really good idea what it's doing. Once you step on the gas, the trans should shift into the gear appropriate for your acceleration and speed. On the other hand, while decelerating and off the gas, it'll tend to remain in as high a gear as possible.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I can feel it doing the same, not downshifting properly, even when not in shiftronic. It will however, downshift, if I really press the accelerator, but in any other car I've had, I never had to do that to that extent. I would think that if you are going about 10 mph, 3rd gear is not the correct gear for that.

I'm hoping they honor the warranty when my transmission finally does fail. I just hope it does it before my 100,000 miles are up

Another problem, which I think is related is that when going up a slight grade, and the transmission needs to shift, it feels as if it slips then bangs into the lower gear. This problem has been happening since day one also, but they insist there is nothing wrong.

Reply to
me

I find any slip-bang description disturbing. Is this intermittent? Has the dealer duplicated it?

If you really believe you have an issue and the dealer has told you it is normal, you should probably take your car to another dealer for a second opinion.

As long as you service your transmission properly, you should have no issues with Hyundai honoring the warranty.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It's intermittent. It always happens on the same roads in the same place on the road. Using a slight grade and making a slight turn. I'm not sure what it's doing, but I think it's downshifting from 3rd to

2nd, or maybe from 4th to 3rd. I need to be going about 25-30 mph. Any slower or any fast and it's fine.

The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate it. If they kept the car for a whole day, I think they could. I actually went to a different dealer for my 30,000 mile check up. There was no way I was giving the dealer I bought the car from another dime. They treat you like you don't know what you're talking about when you go in with a problem.

I told the 2nd dealer about the problem, but I th>I find any slip-bang description disturbing. Is this intermittent? Has

Reply to
me

If you like the second dealer, take the car back to them and give them specific instructions about what is necessary to make the condition occur, or, even better, take one of their technicians on a drive and point it out to him (if that's possible). You should be aware that if they need to drive the car for an extended period of time, that you'll probably need to make some sacrifices. Hyundai won't pay them for extended test drives. One of the things we do is to drive the customer's car home overnight (with the customer's permission, of course) in order to make a significantly longer test drive. If this is okay with you, make it a point to tell them it's okay when you drop off the car. That way, they'll know you really want them to duplicate the problem and are willing to take some of the steps necessary for them to do so.

Reply to
hyundaitech