did i get taken by the dealer?

elantra 05. i went to dealer to get oil change and air filter change. i ended up paying $71. is that normal? i didn't want to go to the franchise shops like midas or meineke.

Reply to
kilroybass

What services did you actually receive? What's the labor rate at the dealer? How many miles on the vehicle?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Taken? Probably not in that all dealers charge more than independent shops. My dealer is $40 for an oil change, my local guy is $30. I don't know what the cost of the air filter is, but filter and labor to change it out is probably in the $30 range.

I personally avoid dealers because of the price structure, but they usually have the most knowledge on their brand of car. Good and bad mechanics can be found everywhere. I was fortunate to find a good one and I stick with him.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Unless there were other VALID services included (not unnecessary fluff), you got screwed.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

-------------- TRY PURCHASING A NEW BATTERY ! --------------------

ELANTRA BATTERIES ARE "SPECIAL," AND THEY'RE almost impossible to replace and service!

Hyundai DOESN'T want you even try to:

1) Check the fluid level in the cells. 2) Check the body and terminals for corrosion. 3) Remove the old battery and install a new one.

These tasks are almost impossible for the average motorist BECAUSE THE BATTERY SITS IN AN ENCLOSED, SEALED CASE! You can't see much less inspect the cell fluid levels. And half of the bolts under the hood on the driver's side have to be removed to free-up the battery.

See, Hyundai wants you to go to a HYUNDAI DEALER, where a battery costs $90, plus up to $50 more to install it. And at most Hyundai dealers I know, you have to leave your car for an entire day -- then hope it's ready when you return in the late afternoon or early evening.

"Aw, we're sorry, but you see we got real busy and couldn't get to yours. But tomorrow!"

AdvanceAuto Parts, AutoZone, Olympic Auto Parts, and Batteries Plus sell the same battery for $52 to $69, some including free installation.

Only problem? They can't get a sufficient supply of them to keep 'em in stock!

And that's what your conniving, inscrutable Hyundai folks want -- to force you to spend more on a new battery than a normal car owner would expect. Parts companies list the Elantra batteries as "special." And that they are!

Additionally, the OWNER'S MANUAL has neither a diagram or instructions for accessing and servicing your Hyundai Elantra battery. Just a one- paragraph entry that says, in effect, Be careful when servicing the battery."

I've had my 2004 Elantra GLS for 3 years and the battery is already shot. Needless to say, with problems also with the air bags, brakes, power locks, and engine noise and vibration, I've bought my last Hyundai product!

My advice to Hyundai? Hold up on building those factories in the U.S. Too many one-time customers could make for sluggish, then anemic, sales.

---------------------

Reply to
John Fartlington Poopnagel

Reply to message from Brian Nystrom (Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:50:12) about "Re: did i get taken by the dealer?":

BN> snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote: >> elantra 05. >> i went to dealer to get oil change and air filter change. i ended up >> paying >> $71. is that normal? i didn't want to go to the franchise shops like >> midas or meineke.

BN> Unless there were other VALID services included (not unnecessary BN> fluff), you got screwed.

Not necessarily. Many dealerships have hourly rates of $80 and up and if they changed both filters that is at least 1/2 hour work. Add to that parts and taxes and could see how he was charged the $71.

Question is - why go to a dealership for these items? One could easily do it for cheaper one's self.

Regards Wayne Moses Sat, 18 Aug 2007 23:58:26 -0500

Wayne Moses

I didn't notice the air filter change in the original post. Considering the cost of the filter and the extra time involved (really only 5 minutes or so), the price he paid is not outrageous, but still somewhat high.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

The air filter cost from the dealer is abouyt 25 dollars and the actual time to raise and lower the hood and install the air filter is 38 seconds (if you have changed one before) The most ridiculous of all is the $2.50 for a aluminum gasket for the oil drain plug. The $10.00 oil filter. (A mobile one filter is $10.00 and is designed for at least a 10,000 mile oil change.

My answer is that anytime you take the car to a Hyuindai dealer for routine (unspecialized) service you are getting a good hosing without the courtesy of a reach around.

Reply to
What

Evidently, YOU haven't done one before, as changing the air filter takes a lot longer than 38 seconds. You have to remove the heat shield, loosen the intake tube clamp, disconnect the intake tube, unlatch the filter box cover, remove the filter, then reverse the process. I'd love to see you do it in under five minutes.

The gasket is copper, not aluminum, but you're right, that price is high. Most dealers sell it for under a buck.

Again, that's high by about $4.00

Perhaps, but the oil isn't and Hyundai requires oil changes every 7500 miles in order to maintain the warranty.

That's not true at all. Unfortunately, service varies from one dealer to the next. Luckily, my dealer is honest and their prices are very fair, though I generally just buy parts from them and do my own work.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom
2002 XG350 3.5 litre v/6. You do have to undo all those things but you can definitely do it in less than one minute. It takes a lot longer to change the transmission fluid and oil and filter than it does the air filter. Taking off the plastic shield in order to get to the oil filter and jacking up the car to get my fat ass under it takes a lot longer too. I change my oil and filter every 2,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. In my case that is six months. The one that was sold to me was aluminum and was $2.58 . The parts for routine maintainance are ridiculously high and the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty does not require all Hyundai parts according to their contact on the phone. Especially oil filter, air filter, transmission fluid, and anti freeze if they meet Hyundai specs. A copy of the specs can be got from the company. You are fortunate as to having a dealer you can reust. The SOB we have here is nothing but a bandit and although charges a fortune, treat their mechanics like dirt. Like I said, when it comes time for a timing belt change, I'll drive to Kansas City, Saint Louis, Columbia, or even Tulsa Ok. before I have it done in Springfield Mo. at Reliable Imports. I'm sure that Reliable would try for at least 2 grand for anything that required any skill at all.
Reply to
What

'The air filter cost from the dealer is abouyt 25 dollars and the actual time to raise and lower the hood and install the air filter is 38 seconds (if you have changed one before) The most ridiculous of all is the $2.50 for a aluminum gasket for the oil drain plug. The $10.00 oil filter. (A mobile one filter is $10.00 and is designed for at least a

10,000 mile oil change. =A0 My answer is that anytime you take the car to a Hyuindai dealer for routine (unspecialized) service you are getting a good hosing without the courtesy of a reach around '

REPLY: They have a high markup on parts due to their enormous overhead and expenses. I dont know why more owners dont do the simple maintainence routines themselves ; its a rewarding experience knowing it was done by yourself and one right.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

.. sorry... that should read :" and DONE right" .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I used to do all my service. Now, when the temperature is 2 degrees and there is a foot of snow and three inches of ice on the ground, I'm quite willing spend the extra $15 to have the oil changed. If is very rewarding to sit with a hot cup of coffee and the newspaper while my car is on the lift.

If you enjoy that time of bonding with your automobile, fine by me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The original poster has an Elantra.

Apparently, you measure time differently than the rest of us.

No kidding.

Again, different car.

Perhaps where you are, but that's not a universal situation.

That's per federal law, the Moss-Magnussen Warranty Act.

True.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom