What did I get myself into?!

What a forum!! Lots of great info. Scary info. Just bought my first Jeep. First week or two have been awesome!, with some clunking noises that I just chalked up to "a Jeep thing".

Now graduating from clunking/rattle in the rear end over the tiniest of bumps, it now also has a very hard rear and front clunk when turning into inclined driveways - almost like a "pop" noise.

Yesterday I'm coming off the highway and the steering suddenly gets very, very tight. The past day or so beforehand had a slight bump noise from the passenger front when turning the wheel pulling out of an incline. Now just to take a simple turn requires a firm grasp of geometry. So it sits in my driveway till this weekend.

I've scoured the forums here, and pretty much surmised a laundry list of things to check / fix / replace. From what I'm reading lately, it seems that owning a Jeep is like playing "whack-a-mole" everyday. This is a scary, and expensive proposition. I need to drive this thing, not drop another grand into it. Followed by another grand, and so on.

I've searched and read every incarnation of "Clunk" and "Steering" on this list, so I have a pretty good idea of what to do and what might cause these issues... I'm just stressing out over the sudden crippling financial impact - and the never ending list of probable causes.

Am I just overreacting? Or am I in for a cash strapped summer of ramen noodles and never ending garage sessions just to be able to get to work during the week?!?!

Any insight and wisdom from Jeep Guru's would be very much appreciated!!!

~Jon

stats:

91 YJ Wrangler 4.0 6cyl column shift 3 speed auto 83k Shackles giving about 1.5" of lift regular tires and wheels (from a 98)
Reply to
campingisgood

Bad swaybar grommets:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

Thanks for the lead!

I assume the new grommets will clear up the front clunkage? The price is certainly affordable!

Concerning the steering, I was pumping gas the other day (before the lock up) and noticed a pool of liquid forming under the engine. I poked around and nothing seems to be leaking, but the horizontal "piston" type device in the steering assembly had just a bare rod and no rubber boot that I would assume keeps dirt, dust, etc.. from fouling it. Could this unit seize up and cause the stiff steering that I currently have? there were no whining noises that I normally associate with bad PS pumps prior to steering lockup. So I think the pump is fine, fluids are good, just what seems to be a "leaky" grease fitting in the steering assembly. Does any of this make sense?

I plan on blasting the piston with WD40 to see if the guy who sold me the Jeep resorted to "bananas in the tranny" style honesty....

Thanks for any info.

~Jon

Reply to
campingisgood

Check you front u-joints. The ones by the wheels. That tight steering is obviously very dangereous so just make sure it is not the u-joints. Also, you have very long shackles (for 1.5 inch lift they are 3 inches longer than stock) so that may be messing up your steering geometry.

Reply to
nrs

That 'piston' thing is merely a horizontal shock absorber, or steering stabilizer. It will not lock up your steering, no matter how worn it is. In fact, it gets weaker as it ages. You do not need a boot on it.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Enh... Shocks can and do seize up now and then....

I thought my tight steering was this shock so I disconnected one end just to make sure. Turns out mine had 'no' guts in it, just a rod going into an empty tube. My steering jam was a blown ball joint.

They don't need boots though.

Mike

Mike Romain

Thanks everyone.

I'll be troubleshooting / repairing this weekend. I'll post how it turns out.

Thanks again!

~Jon

Reply to
campingisgood

Wonder what kind of Jeep (and year) the OP has?

Might make a difference

Reply to
lynnhowlyn

stats:

91 YJ Wrangler 4.0 6cyl column shift 3 speed auto 83k Shackles giving about 1.5" of lift regular tires and wheels (from a 98)
Reply to
Carl S

wrote (snip) . From what I'm reading lately, it seems that owning a Jeep is like playing "whack-a-mole" everyday.

ROFLMAO! It's gonna be ok. Remember, the previous owner sold it for a reason. After you get the few things taken care of you should have years of fun with your new toy.

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon (I like em new, so I don't have to fix em for awhile)
Reply to
Kate

Okay, nice and 70* out finally! Really wish I was installing my softtop today, but first things first I suppose...

After poking in prodding with an experienced mechanic's assistance, we're 90% sure it is a faulty steering shaft. He seems to believe the joints have seized due to his experience dealing with a similar issue with Dodge Dakota vehicles.

The other 10% is a chance that the Gear Box is shot - which is a far chance seeing that the stiffness is constant, and the box is pretty robust.

Also realized the radiator fins are rotting out, so that'll be replaced as well.

So I'm gong to square these up and it's Fun Times ahead!!!

~Jon

Reply to
campingisgood

Hmm....

Just a strange gotcha for you on Jeep steering. You sure could be describing a seized U-joint at the front axle. The passenger side one to be specific. I would jack up each front wheel, turn the steering to the side and see if I could hand spin the wheel. If my guess is right, one will be really hard to spin when turned.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Okay, nice and 70* out finally! Really wish I was installing my
Reply to
Mike Romain

wrote

So I'm gong to square these up and it's Fun Times ahead!!!

~Jon

That's the spirit!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
RoyJ

If it helps, I went through a radiator replacement on my 88 Jeep Comanche around Christmas. If it wasn't for two busted bolts when replacing the water pump at the same time, it would have been an easy afternoon job. With the two busted bolts, I think it ended up being a two week job

I got my radiator by finding out where the local shops go to get radiator re-cored, and got a good deal on it (I thought, anyway). Might want to give that a try in your area.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Back on the road today and all is well! Faulty Power Steering Pump was the culprit.

Soft top next weekend!!

Thank You to everyone who offered insight here. Hopefully one day I'll be well versed enough to return the favor.

~Jon

Reply to
Jon

Thanks for the update!