Elantra 2000; Power steering belt noisy

Hi,

The power steering pump belt is slipping and very noisy if i turn the steering near it's limit. I replaced the belt two times with different models, and it's already there. The belt is very tight, and i use a belt conditionner, the problem is lighter but still there. I verified the shaft of the pump and it turns freely so the pump seems to be in good condition. What else could cause that? Is there a filter on the system? Is it possible that the steering rack is the source of this problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
Syl

Have you checked the water pump/alternator belt. The power steering is driven by the water pump, so a loose water pump belt could be (and usually is) the culprit.

I also recommend against the use of belt dressing and conditioners. They tend to create more noise and problems than they solve. You may need to clean the pulleys off and replace the belt again.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for the tip, the problem was effectively the water pump/ alternator belt.

Regards.

Reply to
Syl