Engine clean out

Valoline offers an engine flush and advises it around 40k's. Is this necessary?

Reply to
Dan

Not IMO. I've driven cars for well over 150,000 to 200,000 miles with change intervals at about 7500 miles (I do some highway driving) and never had a ring, bearing, or valve problem or visible sludge.

There may be some particular engines or very harsh driving conditions that may justify a flush, but today's oils are really pretty good. I don't believe in additives for any automobile liquids either. The main purpose of that stuff is to extract money from your wallet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's necessary to maintain Valvoline's profits. Won't do squat for your car.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Dan