engine oil change interval.

I saw back in June someone talking about engine oil change intervals and everything was discussed EXCEPT..I usually put about 2-3000 miles per oil change on my 03 Elantra, but it sometimes sits in the garage for 2 months at a time while I am out of town. Here's what bugs me. the 6 months interval comes around before the mileage increment shows up. it really gripes me to have to change oil at 2000 jiles, when the 6 months is up and car hasn't been driven for a third of the time. I can't see that sitting in the garage causes the oil to have to be changed!!

Reply to
Deck

Do you know in advance that the car will sit for two months? If so, plan ahead and change the oil just before it goes into the garage. With fresh, contaminant free oils, you can extend the time period. Sitting with contaminated oil there is the possibility of some internal corrosion, or with older oils sludging. Newer oils are far superior in that respect. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Or do what I do and change to full synthetic and don't worry about time, just mileage.

I run full synthetic and change the oil every 5000 miles, less than twice a year.

Reply to
kr

I run synthetic too but still change every 2000 or twice a year. More often than not The time limit gets me first sometimes changing before 2000 miles. When you can't do yuour own work on engines any longer, I've always figured that oil at 5 bucks a quart and a filter at 10 bucks is a lot cheaper than paying some dealer 75 dollars an hour or more for an engine overhaul. The B/S I can't stand is changing a timing belt at 50,000 miles or sooner if old age sets in on the car first. Wish they had let timing chains in cars like they had years ago. I guess they were to expensive. BNetter to have the customer pay 750-1000 dollars to replace a cheap assed belt that probably costs no more than 10-15 dollars to make, right? If the belt was of good quality, it should last 150,000 miles with no stretching or shrinking. I know, I made belts for various applications for almost 40 years before retirement.

Anyway, oil is cheap.

Reply to
What

Are you talking in American dollars? If so, the prices are awfully high. Regardless of the price, there is no point in unnecessarily wasting a finite resource, driving up the price in the process.

Who does your work??? You should be able to get a timing belt replaced for ~$300. Do it yourself and the belt is ~$50 for the OEM part (at least at my dealer).

I won't argue with that, but if you want to maintain your warranty, you have to comply with the requirements.

Perhaps, but waste is still waste and it ultimately costs us all money.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

What is Synthetic oil made of? I thought it was NOT real oil. Maybe I am wrong. If we want a green lifestyle (And I Do) We should pressure our governments to spend money on Fuel Cell research and plan the ultimate (retirement of fossil fuel engines and power generating all together.) As long as idioys in my country run around in 500 hp SUVs and pick-up trucks it is not going to get any better, only worse.

I live in the United States. My elected and (appointed) one's too,leaders believe it is better to wage war in oil producing nations than it is to spend 10 dollars on any change in energy policy. At upwards toward a trillion dollars on an unwinnable civil war for cheap oil, that money could have been spent on development of new better and more earth frienly energy source and opening up the USA to being the world's inventor of technology instead of the world's biggest users,wasters, and polluters.

My Hyundai dealer is perhaps the highest priced in the area for maintainance.

Like I said in my earler post, I can't work on them any longer. I wish that I could. Arthur has gotten the best of me. (Arthur-itis that is.) When I was a young kid, we used to use re-refined oil in our old cars. What happened to that?

I don't know but to me that was a good idea, along with glass, milk , beer, and soft drink bottles too. Ethanol is a good idea but not corn ethanol. All that is going to do is drive up food prices. The South Americans are making their ethanol from sugar cane and getting twice the bang for the buck. All corn ethanol does is make oil barons corn barons. Either way the public is the victim.

With two former oil men running our government (I use that word loosley) and a bunch of politicos that are controlled by big oil and corn farming conglomerates, you and I don't stand a chance my friend.

Thanks for the comments. I did not want you to think though that I was just a polluter and waster.

Reply to
What

a little politics goes a long way! I always use synthetic and I'm not mad at anyone, Bush, Chaney, Clinton, Carter. All the same

Reply to
Deck

I second that motion!

Steve, AZ

Reply to
Steve R.

Reply to
Hyundaisales via CarKB.com

Somebody finally woke up. Those chains will be on the vehicle when the rest of the car is towed off completely worn out.

Reply to
What

Was it Cheryl Crow who suggested we only use one sheet of toilet paper to stop global warming? Have you tried that?

[...]

D&SW

Ick I am facing a $800 bill soon to get the timing belt done on my '03 Tib 6 cyl. it sucks and there is no room to work in the engine compartment...

Reply to
DaToteman