Front brakes questions 2013 Sonata

Hi all. I was just quoted a price for front brakes on my above mentioned vehicle. $305 for pads and disks. I was told that they don't really just replace pads. Is this right? And does this price sound reasonable?

It's been a while since I've had brakes done and not on this car at all yet.

Thanks

Reply to
tonita

It is very common these days to replace both pads and rotors. If you compare both weight and price of rotors compared to many years ago, they are lighter and cheaper.

As for price, not too bad. Many dealers are $400 per axle. You may find an independent shop cheaper.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree with Ed P. Rotors are too thin nowadays to true up or remove the glaze. $305 is reasonable, assuming that includes everything.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Thanks guys. Yes, this is a mom and pop place but very reputable and ethical. I guess I'll know for sure about the brakes on the 30th when I bring it in for inspection. I suspect they'll need to be replaced because they feel low. I hope I have a little more time though.

Thanks again

Reply to
tonita

I can't comment on the price because I'm in the UK.

If you're paying someone to do the job, it makes sense to replace both because parts are cheap and labour is expensive. There's very little extra labour involved in replacing the discs once the callipers have been removed whereas, if you need to do it later, you'll pay for the labour all over again.

It's different if you're doing it yourself. You can examine the discs for scoring and check whether they've worn close to the minimum permitted thickness and then take a view as to whether just to replace the pads.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Good point!

Reply to