Full Size Spare Question

I was the poster who asked about replacement tires for the Kumho Solus tires that came with my 07 Elantra. Based on the responses, I'm going to price another Kumho to replace the no-name tire I currently have after I picked up a nail. Now, my question is: can I put a full-sized spare (the no-name tire) in the well where the compact spare currently resides or is just not designed for that. It's hard for me to tell just from looking. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Fantine

If you can locate a tape measure, I'm sure you can figure it out. If you want to be absolutely sure, pull one of your tires and place it in the well.

Reply to
DonC

Judging by the size of the well, it would appear it'll fit just fine, as long as you move the jack and tool tray to another location. Keep in mind, too, that you'll need to purchase an additional wheel.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I did that on another car I owned by selecting the best tire from a set of 4 I was replacing and having it mounted on a steel frame which cost me only $40. Of course, just like the space saver tire, I never needed to mount it on the car.

Reply to
DonC

Thanks for the help -- appreciate it.

Reply to
Fantine

I don't know about the '07 elantra, but on my '01, when I got a flat I tried to put the full sized wheel in there. It might have fit if I took out the spacers/padding -- but I didn't want to do that knowing the spare would go back in. As it was, the trunk lining was lifted up about an inch.

Reply to
Matthew Fedder

Thanks for the information about your Elantra. The trunk on my 07 Elantra is amazingly big. I can get some much stuff (by which I mean junk!) into the trunk than in my old Saturn. I picked up my brother, his wife and kid at the airport a few months ago and managed to get everything they brought with them into the trunk without any problem. My only complaint is with those stupid pulls for lowering the back seat. They're always in the way and I've had to get one fixed already (no charge, at least).

I don't know about the '07 elantra, but on my '01, when I got a flat I tried to put the full sized wheel in there. It might have fit if I took out the spacers/padding -- but I didn't want to do that knowing the spare would go back in. As it was, the trunk lining was lifted up about an inch.

Reply to
Fantine

I did that once with a used '06 or '07 Sonata. Had to remove four foam blocks that were stuch to the bottom of the well. It was a used car with a bent wheel and a worn out doughnut. Just seemed easier and more cost effective to get a regular wheel than try to deal with a doughnut.

The '07 Elantra doesn't have the blocks, however. The tire sits on the bottom of the well, and the foam tool caddy sits on top of the doughnut. There won't be enough room under the cover for the tool caddy with a full-sized spare.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Is it just a nail, or something more aggressive?? Unless it is in the sidewall, a plug will fix almost any nail hole. The local service station charges ten bucks to plug a nail hole. I since went to Lowe's and picked up a nail hole plugging kit and have done it myself several times....never has a problem with the repair. ....Dave

Reply to
Dave Edwards

I was told that it was some kind of industrial staple, and they recommended replacement. (I drive past a large construction site every day, and there's always junk on the road, so it made sense to me that I had picked up something there.) In retrospect, I should have been more aggressive in asking about repair as an alternative to replacement. Next time, I'll know better.

Reply to
Fantine