Help removing '02 Sonata rear rotors

I need to replace the rear rotors on my 2002 Sonata V6. It has the rear disc brakes with the internal parking brake that is like a mini drum brake inside the rotor. The rotors will not come off because of the parking brake shoes are contacting the inside of the rotor and, I assume, because there is a ridge of rust as there would be with conventional drum brakes. I removed the adjustment plug and located the star adjuster but it (on both sides) is rusted solid and I only managed to break the teeth off the adjuster trying to turn it to release the shoes. I tried a puller but it only pulled the whole parking brake assembly with the rotor and I backed off before something broke. The diagrams and information of the HMA service site is not very helpful for this procedure. I Would greatly appreciate any suggestions for removing the rotors. Thanks in advance for your help. Dave

Reply to
dkortz

Don't be afraid to use a hammer. I cannot actually recall a time where the parking shoes actually stuck to the rotor. Usually, the rotor is rusted onto the hub.

Of course, I'm assuming you're replacing the rotors. If not, you'll need a heavy plastic hammer.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks - yes I'm replacing the rotors (hopefully) but the old rotor is free of the hub - it comes off about 1/4 inch before it gets caught up on the parking brake shoe. I've ordered a parking brake hardware kit and when I get it I'll try to break the adjuster free with a chiesel. The emergency brake is dragging inside the rotor and I think it has worn a ridge that is holding it in. This car sat most of last winter and that probably has something to do with the problem. When I tried to pull the rotor with a puller the hub actually came about an inch off of the hub, but I could look behind it and see that it was pulling all of the brake springs right off the backing plate and I didn't want to do more damage than good by breaking something inside the rotor then having it still stuck on.

Reply to
dkortz

I would also spray as much Liquid Wrench as possible through the brake adjusting hole. Since you are replacing everything, you have nothing to lose. Maybe that will free your star adjuster. Are you sure you are going the right direction on the adjuster? They usually are different from side to side of the car. Soak the heck out of it and let it sit for a day.

Thanks - yes I'm replacing the rotors (hopefully) but the old rotor is free of the hub - it comes off about 1/4 inch before it gets caught up on the parking brake shoe. I've ordered a parking brake hardware kit and when I get it I'll try to break the adjuster free with a chiesel. The emergency brake is dragging inside the rotor and I think it has worn a ridge that is holding it in. This car sat most of last winter and that probably has something to do with the problem. When I tried to pull the rotor with a puller the hub actually came about an inch off of the hub, but I could look behind it and see that it was pulling all of the brake springs right off the backing plate and I didn't want to do more damage than good by breaking something inside the rotor then having it still stuck on.

Reply to
631grant