99 Sonata Horn contact

My 99 Sonata horn is stuck on unless I pull the fuse. I've looked inside of the steering wheel to try to figure out how to fix it. When I pull the air bag off (carefully) and put the fuse back in, the horn does not blow. I can't really see anything to replace. I called the parts dept of the local Hyundai dealer and asked them to look up the steering wheel diagram to see if it showed a horn contact/switch. He couldn't find a switch/contact and asked me if I had a part number. I told him no and that I was calling to see if there was one. After some discussion with others, he came back and said that the airbag would have to be replaced. I can't really believe that they would design it such that it would cost $800 to replace a faulty horn contact. Has anyone ever had this problem and found a solution? P.S. I found nothing on Hmaservice to help. thanks

Reply to
Partner

Sadly, I believe they would.

I'd bypass the switch and put a button on the dash or top of the steering column.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

To the best of my recollection, the air bag bolts onto the horn contacts. Try depressing the contacts on either side to see if that sounds the horn. I don't recall any part of the horn switch being in the air bag itself.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I decided to call another dealers parts dept. on this issue. The response that I got from this person was that I would have to replace the clock spring. He seemed to be a little more knowledgeable than the person at the other dealer. The cost for the clock spring is over $200. But I'm not sure that I want to get into the clock spring R & R. It looks pretty complicated. I think I may just mount a $5 button on the dash or steering column. Maybe I need to call a third dealer and see what story I get from them.

Reply to
Partner