Hyundai 1998 accent radiator fans question

Hi everyone,

I have a Hyundai '98 accent that was overheating really bad for a while, and just recently I replaced the radiator. Even though I replaced it (the original had sprung a leak) the car is still overheating. I replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap, and it's still overheating.

I checked out the radiator fans, and something I noticed is that there are two fans to cool off the radiator. The fan positioned on the drivers side is still working, but the one on the left (passenger side) isn't working anymore. I tried to find a fan motor replacement at a local auto parts store, but I had to return it because the motor they provide doesn't adequately fit. However, I can find a proper replacement for about $130.

I have a question. I don't run any air conditioning, so I thought that at least the one fan that still works would've been sufficient to cool the radiator? I thought the fan positioned on the left is only really necessary for the times you run ac? I'm just wondering, that way I'll know whether or not to order it from the autoparts store, or maybe the overheating could be caused by something else. But I think it's probably that fan. If any one can help, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

Reply to
tysteel4000

It's been long enough that I don't recall whether both fans energize for either a/c operation or for normal engine cooling. You should probably experiment with both situations and stab the fan connectors with a voltmeter and see when each is activated.

It may also be worth your while to check the coolant temperature sensor to see if it's working properly. If not, the ECM won't operate the cooling fan properly.

It's possible that if you've overheated your engine badly enough that you've warped the head or damaged the head gasket, and that's the cause of the continued overheating.

Reply to
hyundaitech