Hyundaitech 2001 santafe steering again

Jacked up again and took a look at what is actually moving.I t looks like the passenger side,front drive axle shaft, is the only shaft doing the moving in and out. The movement is not at the wheel but inside the rubber boot that goes into the tranny or front diff.? Not sure of the terminology. Could this be a ujoint or bearing gone? Thanks for any help>

Zenox

Reply to
zenox

If you can see the boot actually moving in and out, you've got play elsewhere. If the bearing were bad, the most you'd get would be some rocking of the shaft-- it wouldn't move in and out. I'd also expect you to have one heck of a humming or rumbling noise when you drive.

The top of the wheel is pretty much fixed in place and won't move due to the strut attachment. With the wheel jacked off the ground, grab the bottom and see if you can pull it in and out. If you can, the problem is likely in the ball joint. Look specifically to see if the control arm pushes up and down when you move the bottom of the wheel in and out.

Similarly, when you rock the wheel from side to side, you should be able to see the tie rod end joint move if that's where the issue is.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
zenox