help: 2 piece driveshaft proper installation

I have an 88 toyota 2wd pickup long box with a 2 piece drive shaft. I got the rear and mid/intermediate ujoints replaced by a garage. Since then, I get a vibration from the rear end especially between 55 and 60 km per hour whether I accelerate and with my foot off the gas. We balanced the tires but I still get the vibration.

I know the garage marked the connection where the rear axle and front (it is actually called intermediate axle) meet, but not sure if they marked where the rear part of the axle meets with the rear differential (remember it is a

2-piece shaft). Anyway, I took a look at the length of the 2 piece shaft and the rear part of the 2-piece shaft is not in line with the front part. It goes off to an angle from the midpoint join as it connects to the rear differential.

I know it matters that the rear and front/intermediate diff meet in the middle the same way they were disconnected, not sure if it matters if the rear diff joins in the same position with the rear axle. Anyway, is it possible the garage connected the rear axle to the rear diff in an incorrect manner causing (different than how it was originally connected) it to be on an angle or different angle than originally and thus putting a strain on the ujoints, hence vibration. Or am I way off here.

Reply to
jpan

You should take it back to the shop that did the work and explain the problem to them. Maybe the missed something.

Are you looking at it from the side of the truck ? If so that sounds normal. The rear shaft is usually at a steeper angle than the front shaft.

It shouldn't matter what position the shaft is bolted to rear axle. It is important that the two piece shaft be put back together the same way it came apart as that can effect the balance of the drive shaft. It would also cause a vibratrion because the ujoints would be out of phase. This is easy to check by eye. Suppose you had the driveshaft laying on the floor in front of you with the rear ujoint closest to you. Rotate the driveshaft so that one of the rear ujoint bearing caps is pointing straight up ( it doesn't matter which one ). Now look down the length of the driveshaft at the other ujoint bearing caps and they should also be pointing straight up. If they don't all line up you would take the shaft apart at the slip yoke and turn the two halves till the ujoints are aligned and put it back together. You can check this without removing the driveshaft from the truck.

It is also possible that the shaft somehow got bent or that one needle bearings fell into the cap as the ujoint was installed.

Another possibility is that they forgot to reinstall any shims that may have been under the center support bearing.

Reply to
Mike

help: more 2-piece driveshaft questions

Great responses and now I have more pointed questions. Thank you very much for the help and support. New to these newsgroups so if this post more than once I apologize in advance.

I know that the garage marked and connected properly (as original) the

2-piece driveshaft in the middle where the rear part meets with the front, but does it also need to be connected as it was originally where the rear driveshaft meets/bolts to the rear differential??

2)Is there a way to know how it was originally connected

3) why does it only vibrate between 55-60 for the most part

4) How can I confirm the off-center for thedrive flanges at the differential is normal, looking at the rear shaft from underneath, I know it will slant down from the center connection between front/rear driveshaft, but the rear driveshaft also tilts to the left or right and not inline with the front shaft.

Appreciate your help.

"
Reply to
Giancarlo Pagliaroli