Hyundaitech - Scangauge - OBDII connector - arrgh

So I thought it might be neat to get a Scangauge to watch my mpg since I don't have that readout in my plain jane 2006 Elantra. I go to the website, it says virtually all cars since 1996, I get excited, read about the unit some more, get ready to order, and a birdie comes and sits on my shoulder and tells me to just check the incompatibility chart to make sure it fits the OBDII connector. Never assume though. But no big deal.

A short list of incompatible diesels, the Lotus Elite, and......one car won't fit the connector.

-One- stinking car, out of, I guess, every car made in the world since

1996.

The 2006 Elantra.

It's quite hard to fathom. I'm still dazed. Hyundaitech, why on earth do you think Hyundai did this? Does this mean I'm at the mercy of only the dealer for diagnostics?

Or, (looks heavenward), is there an adapter that everyone else uses to run diagnostics on this rare bird? (and might be used to run the Scangauge?)

Will await answer with just a bare bit of hope.

Thanks!

Reply to
unkadunk

It's certainly *not* an issue with the shape of the connector. The connector shape is the same as all other OBD-II compliant vehicles. It is possible, however, that the communication protocol in your car is not recognized by the Scangauge, or that the necessary data isn't transmitted in the data stream (although I'd think that injector pulsewidth and fuel level would be the primary inputs).

Reply to
hyundaitech

According to the scangauge site

is no mention of the Elantra (or any other Hyundai) being incompatible "2006 WORKS ON ALL EXCEPT: Lotus Elise Jeep Liberty with the diesel engine does not report fuel use or trip functions and some of the gauges.

Partial Compatibility Some vehicles do not provide all of the possible information. The following list applies to the vehicle that fall within this category: About 10% of vehicles provide Fuel Pressure (FPR). About 50% of vehicles provide Manifold-Absolute-Pressure (MAP). Multiple displacement engines will report incorrect fuel economy and fuel use when some of the cylinders are disabled."

I wonder what site you are referring to. It comes with a 30 day unconditional money back guarantee if it doesn't work anyways.

unkadunk wrote:

Reply to
jp103

site

there is no mention of the Elantra (or any other Hyundai) being incompatible>

This is too bizarre. I mean totally creepy. The compatibility page is totally different than the one I looked at yesterday. Only keep a one day favorite history, so maybe I was at another site, but I'm sure I wasn't, as I was going to order directly from them. I swear it's changed!!!

But haunted web pages aside, this is great news, I'm ordering this morning.

Thanks!

Reply to
unkadunk

Ahh, the internet works in mysterious ways....

If you get > This is too bizarre. I mean totally creepy. The compatibility page

Reply to
jp103

Will do, order is in!

Reply to
unkadunk

I can guarantee there's no fuel pressure information. Your car does have MAP, so that data should be available.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I have a 2006 Elantra, and bought a Innova Equus 3130 ScanTool CanOBD2, and it works absolutely perfectly with the Elantra. This model works with all communications protocols, including CAN (Controller Area Network). I bought it new through a eBay vendor at a price of around $150 - well worth the cost.

Here's a link to the manufacturer's product page:

Hyundaitech . . . the rash of recent DTC's that my Elantra was giving was finally sorted out a few weeks ago. I suggested to the dealer that they change out the PCSV (Purge Control Solenoid Valve) the two previous times the Check Engine light came on, but they chose not to take my advice, even though I once worked as a certified technician on SAABs and Volvos. The most recent time, they chose to finally replace the PCSV, and it fixed the problem.

Reply to
Don Allen

Just got the Scangauge in today, and gave it a test spin in the 2006 Elantra. I really bought it mainly to watch the mileage. So far it works perfectly. Fits like a glove in the space below the radio, just have to figure out how to route the relatively thick wire. Hate to pull part of the dash on a ten month old car and drill holes. Yet.

Most importantly, the backlight color was easily adjusted to match the Elantra's green perfectly, looks stock. Unit is well made, display is bigger than I thought. Really big 'fonts'. Plugged it in, turned on engine, the Scangauge booted in about five seconds and was ready to go. Put in data on car engine, fuel tank, etc. in a couple of minutes or so. And that was that.

Went for a spin, set it to instant mpg, and watched as it read 0 mpg in the garage, then 3, 4, 5 crawling out the driveway and into the street. Then on to the store, where it merrily whizzed along from yucky low mpg accelerating to 60+ mpg when lifting off trottle. Average mpg to the store and back was 12. Hoho. Really makes you realize how miserable mileage is when braking, accelerating on short trips with stop signs etc.

Average mpg is similar to the readout on better Hyundai models, but is on another display from the instant mpg readout, so you loose the instant readout to see the average. Kind of disappointing to me but not a big deal. Nice selection of various mpg, fuel to empty, speed readings.

Most other readouts were fine but many redundant or boring, voltage, rpm, manifold temperature, etc. Like watching your cpu temperature and fan rpm's on your computer. Interesting for a second or two. But obviously important if at some point you need to analyze them.

Unit is very well made, all plastic but nice and substantial. Cord is six feet, enough for dash mounting but would be tight trying to loop it to an overhead windshield mount spot.

Manual was okay, but needs someone to edit it, put in some chapters, and move stuff around. Important first time fuel settings were twenty pages into the book. Manual on website easier to read.

White plastic buttons are really good for finding in dark, but they make the unit stand out when it's sitting in the dash. Kind of yells 'hey look do you want to break a window and get me I'm an add-on' kind of thing. Have to look into black magic marker or some kind of caps for them.

All in all for a one day test it's a very nice toy to help entertain, watch the mpg, and maybe come in handy one day if problems arise. I'm keeping it.

Reply to
unkadunk

Reply to
jp103

Greetings all;

Looking through old posts and trying to figure out why my OBD II reader no longer works on my 08 Sonata and the wife's 05 Jeep. The reader's fine, but no go on these 2 new vehicles. Did a language change that I missed?

I also got to thinking about the poster in the group that provided the link for the little cool OBD II device to augment the existing gauges and mounted cleanly on the dash. Does anyone remember or have the link?

Reply to
Steve R.

The '08 Sonata is running CAN protocol. I've seen information that 2005 Jeeps may also be running CAN.

Reply to
Bob

Well, that would explain everything. Since I no longer can use it, it's going on Ebay...

Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Ann & Steve Richards

the scan gauge can be had at wwwdotscangaugedotcom/buy/index.shtml

Reply to
631grant

Thanks!!

I did find a cooler one on Ebay, but of course, more pricey...DashDyno OBD II 2 Scan Tool

Steve R.

Wow, pricey is the key word!!! For that price, it should go to bed with you!!!!!

631grant

I think you where looking at the Aeroforce Scan Gauge Here is a video of it on youtube

kyle

Reply to
wildfire8