ScanGauge II?

Anyone have any experience with the ScanGuage? I've been toying with getting one for a while, and I'm edging closer to it. (I've already located the OBDII port it plugs into.)

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

I've used one in my Miata for 2 years now. Using the data, I've probably paid for it in gas savings three times over.

Reply to
Jack McGann

Other than not driving, how exactly have you saved 3 times it's cost in gas savings?

Reply to
another nogn

One of its features is the ability to show you in real-time (or damnclose to it) your current MPG. Keep an eye on that and adjust your driving so it goes up.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

A close eye on instantanious MPG readings will allow one to drive in a more economical manner. I drive "a lot" and therefore save "a lot".

Reply to
Jack McGann

Don't need a gauge for that - just common sense and a light foot.

Reply to
another nogn

Is 55mph really more fuel efficient than 70, or is that just propaganda? How much fuel will I save if I inflate my tires to 40psi, where my Mazda6 gets a better ride, compared to the "recommended" 32psi where it wallows like a sick pig? Do fuel additives effect the mileage? And if so, which ones, and in what way?

How much of that does your "common sense and a light foot" provide an answer for?

And the instant MPG reading is only one of the many functions of the thing. It also does:

Scan Tool: Reads Trouble Codes Reads conditions that set the Trouble Code Clears Trouble Codes Turns off "Check Engine" light Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes to send to the vehicle computer

Digital Gauges - Shows 4 gauges at a time from the possible following: Fuel Economy (MPG - gasoline engines only) Fuel Rate (GPH - gasoline engines only) Battery Voltage Coolant Temperature Intake Air Temperature Engine Speed (RPM) Vehicle speed (MPH) Manifold Pressure (not available on some vehicles) Engine Load Throttle Position Ignition Timing Open/Closed Loop

Trip Computer: Maximum Speed Average Speed Maximum Coolant Temperature Maximum RPM Driving Time Driving Distance Fuel Used (Gasoline engines only) Trip Fuel Economy(Gasoline engines only) Distance to Empty Time to Empty Fuel to Empty

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

Some have the "gift" I guess, for others like me, there's always technology..

"Almost Haiku"

Reply to
Jack McGann

It arrived today and I plugged it in. Couple of things... why does the MPG gauge jump around so much? At one point, it claimed I was getting

130MPG, and another it claimed 99999MPG. Both of those, and similar, were transitory, only lasting a couple of seconds. But still... there is no way a Mazda/Ford 3 liter V6 with over 80K miles ('03 Mazda6s) can +ever+ get 130MPG!

And, it's physically bigger than I expected. I'm having a hard time finding a good spot to mount it. I don't want to put it on top of the dash for a variety of reasons. I could put it to the left of the instrument cluster hood, but then it blocks the side defroster vent. Nowhere on the center console is good because it'd block a display or control. On top of the ashtray cover would be good, but then I'd have to take my eyes off the road too long to see it. I've currently (and hopefully temporarily) velcroed it to the base of the instrument cluster. I thought of getting the "BlendMount" (via Amazon, of course) to mount it above the rearview mirror, but there isn't enough room between the mirror and the light/cubby/moonroof switch panel in the headliner.

Hmm... maybe I can put that mount +under+ the mirror instead...

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

"Jeffrey Kaplan"

Check the forums at miata.net, You'll find lots of "options" for mounting locations

Reply to
Jack McGann

Not a Miata, a 6. I know of 'mazda6club', but I'm not to thrilled with that site.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Kaplan" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.mazda Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:35 PM Subject: Re: ScanGauge II?

That MPG your looking at is the "instantaneous mpg". You need to look at "Tank" + "Current" mpg At any moment if your in neutral, or coasting clutch in, your mpg varies widely, even between uphill + downhill... on the instantaneous MPG..

Reply to
Jack McGann

Ok, I finally RTFM. Apparently, an MPG reading of 9999 means that the car had momentarily turned off the fuel injectors, and there is a threshold setting I can set that should prevent that particular reading, but it wasn't too clear about other effects.

Still trying to find a good place to mount it.

Reply to
Jeffrey Kaplan