My new Kona can't be shifted to Park while engine sill running

I just picked up my new 2019 1.6 L turbo powered Kona at the dealer today and it drove really nice. So nice, that it did not want to be
shifted to Park when I got home and stopped. I had my foot on the brake pedal and pulled the hand brake, then move the shifter from D to P before wanting to turn off the engine. But it would not move out of R position to P till I first turned off the engine. This is not how it's supposed to be. The shifter should be placed to P before turning off the engine. The car has a dual-clutch AT. Has anybody experienced something like this? Am I doing something wrong?

Could it be because of the hand brake being on? I don't claim to have a clue, but maybe that's the issue.
Please check out my music: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID 30296
On 12/6/2019 2:33 PM, Cameo wrote:

That does not sound right. I'd be back at the dealer tomorrow and ask them. I assume you pushed any button on the shifter if needed.
On 12/7/2019 2:27 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The button is the problem, I think, but I don't see any on the shift lever. I come from a Honda background and on those cars the shift button is right at your thumb. The strange thing is that the 2019 Kona Owner's Manual on page 5-27 in the illustration even spells out that "Depress the brake pedal and press the shift button while moving the shift lever." But then on the illustration they don't show where the shift button is.
Cameo wrote:

All the Google images of a Kona shift knob show buttons on the side, back, top, or front, etc. I would take the knob off and see if pressing the nylon rod allows shifting to park.
On 12/8/2019 1:03 AM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I found it at last, at the front-facing side of the shift stick. But it's not really a button, but more like a toggle and you operate it with your index finger, rather than with your thumb. Without anybody pointing it out, it's not in an obvious location. I wonder why the Owner's Manual does not mention it.
But even so, that shift "button" doesn't make moving the shift stick from R to P easy while the engine is still running. I have to press on the brake pedal REAL HARD while also putting a lot of pressure on the stick to move it from R to P. I don't feel it should be that much harder to shift to P than to other positions. It wasn't on other AT cars I've driven.
Cameo wrote:

What you describe about a lot of pressure on both should not be. The brake pedal has an electrical switch which allows shifting to P. Movement of both the lever and pedal should be easy. A dealer needs to look at it.
On 12/8/2019 7:26 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I agree and I'll call him about that.
On 12/8/2019 7:26 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I talked to the dealer and I was told to give it a few days and the shifting into Park should become smoother. And he was right. It is getting smoother with each day I drive. So I am good with it now.
Cameo wrote:

Interesting. Guess it needed to wear the rough edges off.
On 06/12/2019 19:33, Cameo wrote:

P ->>> R -> N -> D
D -> N ->> R ->> P
-> ... Footbrake and Trigger not needed ->> ... Trigger needed ->>> ... Footbrake and Trigger both needed
HTH
--

Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
On Sat, 07 Dec 2019 17:21:34 +0000, Flop wrote:

Shifting to or from Park or Reverse without ensuring the car is stopped by having your foot on the brake is just a really bad idea, even if the Manufacturer allows it.
On 12/11/2019 7:42 PM, Bob wrote:

Who is saying otherwise?
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 21:31:14 +0100, Cameo wrote:

According to the info above, you can shift from R to P or from N to R by only pressing the trigger button, no brake required. This is true on many (most?) cars (including my own), but if the car is moving, you can damage the parking pawl (R to P) or damage the clutch packs (N to R, if the car is rolling forward).
On 11/12/2019 18:42, Bob wrote:

Thank you.
A timely reminder to those who follow the instruction book. Now I have one more fact to learn. :-)