New Rims

Hi i own an Elantra 2005 and i wanted to replace the wheels with new sport looking ones. The wheels that came with the car are 185/65/15. I would like to know if there is any special specifications for the new rims, and the maximum size of tires i can put on it, and will this cause any harm to the suspension of the car. Thankyou.

Reply to
Qaliza

Are you going to replace the wheels or the tires, or both? What you posted above is the stock tire size. The stock steel wheels are

15x5.5's. The alloy wheels on the GT are 15x6's.

If you just want to change tires, size 195/60-15 will fit your stock wheels. Size 205/55-15 might work, but they'd work better on a wider wheel.

I've seen people put up to 18x7.5 wheels with 40 series tires on Elantras, but that strikes me as pretty impractical. Going with 16" or

17" x 6.5 or 7" wheels, with 50 or 55 series tires is a better bet for a car that sees regular use in all kinds of conditions, especially if you have rough roads in your area. Of course, you can always to with 15x6's and 195/60-15 tires, like the GT.
Reply to
Brian Nystrom

"" wrote: > Qaliza wrote: > > Hi i own an Elantra 2005 and i wanted to replace the wheels > with new > > sport looking ones. The wheels that came with the car are > 185/65/15. I > > would like to know if there is any special specifications > for the new > > rims, and the maximum size of tires i can put on it, and > will this > > cause any harm to the suspension of the car. Thankyou. > > > Are you going to replace the wheels or the tires, or both? > What you > posted above is the stock tire size. The stock steel wheels > are > 15x5.5's. The alloy wheels on the GT are 15x6's. > > If you just want to change tires, size 195/60-15 will fit your > stock > wheels. Size 205/55-15 might work, but they'd work better on a > wider wheel. > > I've seen people put up to 18x7.5 wheels with 40 series tires > on > Elantras, but that strikes me as pretty impractical. Going > with 16" or > 17" x 6.5 or 7" wheels, with 50 or 55 series tires is a better > bet for a > car that sees regular use in all kinds of conditions, > especially if you > have rough roads in your area. Of course, you can always to > with 15x6's > and 195/60-15 tires, like the GT.

Thanku for ur information but what i really want to know will increasing the size of the tire or rims affect or cause any damage to the suspention system of the car.

Reply to
Qaliza

No, it won't as long as you buy wheels and tires that fit properly. Specifically, the wheels must have the proper amount of of offset and clear the suspension components adequately. The tires need to fit within the wheel wells without rubbing.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom