99 Altima questions

Hi folks,

I'm looking at a 99 Altima 5 speed as an upgrade from my 94. It's got

82,000 km and seems to be in nice shape. I've noticed though that the clutch pedal feels stiffer and maybe a bit less smooth than mine, and the shifter feels a lot more rubbery. Getting into 1st gear was a bit tricky for me, but it might just be something that I (would) need to get used to. Has anyone else moved from a 1st to 2nd generation Altima and noticed anything like this? My instincts tell me it's likely just the way they were made in the 2nd generation.. or maybe it could use some new shifter bushings and a fresh change of transmission oil.

Other than that it feels good and tight, and no funny sounds from the engine.. Was there anything in particular with this year/generation that was a common problem? I guess as far as electricals and the engine goes it's likely 90% the same as mine and if this one is anywhere near as reliable and fun as my 94 has been, I'll be more than happy with it.

Thanks in advance for any insights :)

Reply to
JM

Another thing I wanted to ask -- I noticed the 99 has 195/65/15 tires mounted. Are the rims the same size on this as my 94? I think I'd prefer the 205/60/15's I have to the taller and skinnier ones on the 99 right now.

Reply to
JM

I don't know anything about the clearance on that car. Best thing to do is to check for optional sizes from the factory.

FWIW, the "correct" lower profile tire is 205-55-16 but that is an uncommon size. The idea is to keep the diameter the same while reducing the sidewall height if you want to improve handling. Check here for more info:

- Bob -