Will new Volvo Cross Country 16" rims fit my 88 240?

Just want to know if the rims will fit my 1988 240DL sedan, there is a set for sale in my price range and I'd like to get some more flash on my old brick. Seems like the Volvo XC Cross Country rims will look nice, I just want to know if I will run into any problems with them fitting my 240?

thanks

Kevin

Reply to
mgcarma

Scott

Don't count on them fitting, because the depth may be different. I tried to fit 15" (snow tire) rims from my '00 S70 to my '91 940, and they didn't work because the wheel depth was different --- deeper on the S70's --- and the tires rubbed on the wheel well.

Reply to
mdrawson

Yeah, I can't offer any advice but I just wanted to tell you that would look tight if you can! mgcarma wrote: Just want to know if the rims will fit my 1988 240DL sedan, there is a set for sale in my price range and I'd like to get some more flash on my old brick. Seems like the Volvo XC Cross Country rims will look nice, I just want to know if I will run into any problems with them fitting my 240?

thanks

Kevin

--------------050908080609020109060609--

Reply to
klh in VA

No. You need rear wheel drive style rims, not the newer front/all wheel drive rims. Almost anything from a 240, 740 or 940 will fit and work correctly.

John

Reply to
John Horner

The offset is different, it may be possible to use spacer plates, but it is generally not advisable.

Reply to
James Sweet

If yourself or anyone else is interested I had an '83 242 Turbo........ the car was crushed but I have the rims & they're in decent shape. I used to frequent this group quite often,. I'm one of those that did the Mustang 5.0 H.O. swap it worked great but the years on the car finally caught up & I guess I tired of it, so, away it went. Herman.

Reply to
Herman

What about the reverese?

I.e. somone is offering rims from a 740 (with 195/65 X 15 tires).

Any problem with putting them on my 98 V70? I know the tires are the correct size. What about the rims?

James Sweet wrote:

Reply to
Inno

You have the same problem, only reversed. The offset difference will position the wheels to far out. Not only will this cause the tires to hit the fenders, the car would steer very poorly. Front drive needs to have the tire centerline very close to the design to have proper steering reaction and feel.

Reply to
Mike F

What about 850 rims? Will they be ok on my V70? Don't seem to be any newer rims on the resale market for cheap yet!

Mike F wrote:

Reply to
Inno

Since the 98 V70 is just an 850 wagon with rounder corners and the power window switches moved to the correct place on the door, all 850 wheels will work.

Reply to
Mike F