Question for Hyundaitech on AT Drain Plug

Hyundaitech,

What is the tightening torque for the 24mm automatic transmission drain plug on a 2006 Elantra? I can seem to find the spec anywhere.

Thanks, Don

Reply to
Don Allen

Sorry to jump in here. But it seems to matter whether or not you can get the plug completely off and change the O-ring. If you can, consider it what I call "standard tightening."

If you can't (like I can't with my Kia van, which also takes that 24mm, because the plug drops right onto the frame rail and can't be removed), you have to tighten it pretty tight so it won't leak.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

32Nm. Retrieved from shop manual section regarding fluid replacement.
Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry for the late reply and post - I've been on a business trip.

Perfect... Thanks Hyundaitech, it's sincerely appreciated. Access to the AT drain plug on the 2006 Elantra is excellent, and very easy to remove and replace. I chose to change the ATF in the Elantra once again, because our local Hyundai dealer refuses to use SPIII ATF. Rather, they want to use a "synthetic equivalent to SPIII." I follow the book, and refuse to allow anyone to refill with anything other than SPIII ATF.

Reply to
Don