Mystery metallic grinding noise...

I sadly have a problem on my '06 Sonata that is proving very difficult to cure.

On cold starts, when the car has been sitting for at least 8 hrs or so, I will hear a (sometimes faint sometimes louder) metallic grinding noise coming from under the hood somewhere, possibly near my wheels, though I'm not sure.

I took it into the Hyundai dealership here, who rather quickly deduced it was the power-steering pump. Well...It was replaced 48 hrs ago and I just cold-started it...and the noise is still there.

While I'm totally ignorant on any mechanic stuff not involving the most basic of 70's era American cars...I suspect some sort of bearing or belt or chain issue.

Hyundaitech-man...PLEASE HELP ! I have to drive this thing 800 miles to my wedding in 10 days !

Reply to
Yabahoobs

Safe your car and your future well-being. Stay single.

Reply to
Key

How long does the noise last? What engine do you have?

The amount of assistance I'm able to give may be limited. This sort of thing is often difficult to diagnose without hearing the noise.

Reply to
hyundaitech

  1. I'm in the GLS, so it's the V6. I hope that helps.
  2. It will only be real audible at idle or low power-application. And even then, it will disappear after about 30 minutes.

I understand if you can't help. I'm just kinda bummed that I've run into a problem that (so far) 1 Hyundai dealer-shop has been unable to find and fix.

Reply to
Yabahoobs

This pretty much rules out timing chain tensioners. Typically, noise caused by chain slack will go away within 5 sec of start-up. Engine has solid lifters, so it cannot be a hydraulic lifter issue, either. I've seen a couple crankshaft pulleys come apart. Yours could be in the early stages, rubbing the timing chain cover.

If they didn't get the noise on the first visit, make an appointment to drop it off one afternoon and return the next morning to start it with them so you can point out the noise when it occurs.

Reply to
hyundaitech