Rear brakes

I was quoted about $600 (approximate) for rear brakes with calipers. Does this seem right for a 2013 Sonata?

Reply to
tonita

Yes, if you went to a chain shop. Many chain shops like Monroe will charge similar prices. One recently quoted me $350-400 (I don't remember the exact figure), to ONLY replace the rear rotors and pads, not the calipers. One caliper slide pin was bent/stuck, and it was causing the other side to wear. They said they could fix that up at the same time, included.

Go to a local brakes or exhaust shop and save money. If there's a fair wait for them to see your car, you usually know you've found a good place. I have an old-school exhaust shop near me that will do brake work, and sometimes you have to wait weeks to be seen, but they might quote almost half of the price that Monroe charges.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Hi Michael, this garage is my regular mechanic. Mom and Pop business, well established with good reviews.

Reply to
tonita

IMO, it's reasonable assuming they will replace the rotors along with the calipers.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

If they've done good work for you before, and they are replacing the rear rotors, calipers, and pads, the price that you quoted seems to be fair/average.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Thanks everyone for responding. I've had the same guy work on my car for several years now and I've come to trust him but with a costly quote like this I like to get other opinions. Thanks again.

Reply to
tonita

Mine charged $200. That is a crazy price but some shops get it. Shop around or find the local shade tree mechanic that wants to make a couple of bucks. it is not a difficult job.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

But do the calipers need replacing?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True. May just need slides. Don't know the op's environment though.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX