Santa Fe vs Equinox

My wife and I test drove a 2010 Santa Fe this weekend and also a used

2008 Entourage. I was quite impressed by the Entourage as compared to my 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. The only thing we really didn't like about it was the entry method for the 3rd row. The Dodge middle row seat slides way forward when you release the entry latch and then quickly slides back into position. The Entourage middle row seat has to be folded forward into a "cube" essentially and this wasn't that easy and still provided much less entry space than the Dodge. And it was much harder to get the middle row seat back into position. Other than that, we really liked the Entourage other than the fact that we can't inherit the 100K warranty. That latter thing was a deal breaker for us. I've also pretty much decided I need to up my "fleet" average MPG and another minivan won't do that.

We liked the Santa Fe, but it isn't the match of the Chevy Equinox in my opinion. It is slightly smaller and gets a fair bit poorer fuel mileage, by the EPA rating at least. And my experience with the Sonata is that the EPA rating for Hyundai's is optimistic if anything. The Sonata is the only vehicle I have for which I can't achieve the EPA highway rating when on a long trip. My Dodge and Chevy will both meet or exceed the EPA highway rating when driving on the interstate at the speed limit. The Santa Fe had more responsive steering than the Equinox which I like, but the ride was substantially harsher (both are AWD versions). The ride is actually harsher than my old 1994 K1500 pickup truck! We both found this very surprising. I have not driven any other Santa Fe years. Was this also try on the 2009 and older editions?

I'm still not sure if I will buy a vehicle this year or wait another year until more vehicles have the direction injection technology, but I am leaning towards the Equinox at the moment as the Hyundai cross-overs just aren't the match of the new Chevy ... as hard as that was to believe.

The Entourage would be attractive if Hyundai would transfer the 10/100K warranty, as they were asking $18K for it with 33K miles and I suspect I could get it for $17K with a cash deal. However, it is a program vehicle (most likely a rental from the rash on the interior in the back

- just like my Caravan which was a program vehicle also) and I'd want the longer warranty as these are often driven very hard and I fear transmission problems with them. Chrysler gave me an extended warranty on my Dodge and fortunately I never needed it, but it was nice to know it was there.

Enough rambling for now!

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

The Entourage is nothing more than a rebadged Sedona with a few trim changes. If you decide you're considering again, look at the Sedona.

Not sure what the question is here, but there are some changes for the

2011 Santa Fe. The 2.7 and 3.3 engines are no longer used, and the 2.4 (same as your Sonata) and 3.5 (stroked 3.3) are used instead. One potential cause of a harsh ride is overinflated tires. The vehicles are shipped with tires usually inflated to 40 - 45 PSI to prevent flat- spotting. Sometimes the pressures don't get lowered or the vehicle hasn't yet been inspected by the dealer.

Haven't spent a lot of time in Equinox, so I can't opine on room and comfort, etc., but everything I've seen indicates Santa Fe is much more reliable.

Reply to
hyundaitech

My mistake. This has already occurred for the 2010 model year.

Reply to
hyundaitech