Side effect of overheating

My V6 Sonata is used primarily for city driving. I have been told that this driving pattern can somtimes result in a deposit build-up internally on the engine.

Recently my car overheated because of the failure of the water pump. The water pump was replaced and now the car runs as good as ever and the bonus is that my MPG creeped up just a bit. Can this be the result of deposit build-ups burning off when it overheated?

I check my MPG closely by setting the trip meter to zero when I fill up and then on the next fill-up I divide the miles driven by the gallons needed to refill. I do this check frequently.

Remembering when with carbureted cars I sometimes sprayed a bit of water into the intake to clean out deposits.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

From another old timer. In the 60,s in Australia a lot of the cars being raced had water injection where water was bled into inlet manifold. You could even buy kits to fit to your daily driver. Suction from inlet manifold just socked a tiny amount of water from a tank in engine bay. Cars apparently (allegedly) ran smoother, cooler, better mpg. John

Reply to
John

It's probably just a coincidence. Perhaps you're driving a bit more gingerly since you had the overheating problem?

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

true, and the water spray in the engine is similar to the reason that automobile engines seem to run better in the rain....you're sucking in moist air.

Reply to
mack