Sloshing Sound from Gas Tank-2006 Sonata

When coming to a stop, we hear gas sloshing back and forth in our new

4 cyl. GLS. I didn't hear this in my test drives, but do now. Anyone have the same problems and any insights into a fix? Johnboy
Reply to
bop

Without a tad more info I would dare to say you are hearing gas sloshing around in your gas tank. Whats your read on the origin??.............Doc

Reply to
Dr.Colon.Oscopy

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1137584839.845134.271060 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

You know, this is something I am noticing more and more with my '06 GLS. It is definitely gas in my tank sloshing around, and I really only hear it from when the tank is full until about 1/8 empty.

With Hyundaitech mentioning that these tanks have no baffles (I think that is what he said), it is not surprising, and doesn't really concern me except for the fact that it seems to be getting worse over time.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I hear this occasionally in my GL as well. No idea if there is a fix. I'm guessing Hyundai didn't baffle the tank sufficiently or at all and this isn't something easily fixed. Turning up the radio helps. :-)

I also hear noises from the rear occasionally when applying the brakes, but haven't taken it in yet to have someone else listen.

My dash also makes a fairly sharp cracking/popping noise when I hit a very abrupt bump (edge of a bridge apron for example). Anyone else have this problem?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I don't think this will cause a problem, but I do wonder if it will have any affect on the electric fuel pump. Might cause something to fatique and fail after a few years of this. Also, it might let the pump run in air occasionally when the tank is low and you are stopping, cornering or accelerating hard. I'm assuming the Sonata has the standard in-tank electric fuel pump as do most FI cars. These pumps are lubricated and cooled by the gas they are pumping. If they run in air, their life can be shortened rather dramatically.

A separate but related question, has anyone had their low fuel light come on yet? I ran mine down to less than 1/8" by the gauge and still no light. I put in 15.5 gallons in a tank that I think is claimed to hold 17.7. Most cars I have give the low-fuel warning at about the 1/8 tank level. I'll run it down a little lower next time know that I know that I still have two gallons left at the 1/8 mark.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Matt Whiting wrote in news:FVqzf.5259$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.epix.net:

Agreed. Definitely a concern.

The light came on for me when I hit "E". Strangely enough the trip computer showed I had "0" miles left, but when I filled up (about 10 miles later) I still only took 16.9 gallons. My guess would be that it gives you a 1-1.5 gallon reserve.

All of my Hyundai's have acted the same, with the light not coming on until about the "E" level.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Ok, I'll have to put a can of gas in the trunk and test my own car. That seems like a pretty small margin. Where I live, it isn't unusual to be 20 miles from the nearest gas station, and at night, the nearest open station might be even farther away.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I live near a new facility that is starting up to make plastic fuel tanks for Kia and, I assume, Sonata. It's in Lavonia, Ga. They are using a new technique designed to minimize emisiions to meet the government's standards. They are blow molding the tank around all of the fuel components at one shot. That is, the fuel pump, level sensor, and all of the various hoses are contained inside the tank when it is blow molded. There is one small access hole, but it is too small to remove or replace any of the components. Guess what? When anything fails in the tank, you replace the entire gas tank!!! Thank our forward thinking government for that one. Also, in the cut up parts that I saw, there were no baffles. The only thing that prevents sloshing are all the components and hoses in there.

Tom

Reply to
tjnamtiw

How is blow molding with the parts in place any better at minimizing emissions that blow molding the tank with a hole in it to contain the pump and sending unit? I assume you are talking about emissions from the manufacturing process, but maybe I missunderstood you.

Yes, blow molding baffles into a tank would be a real innovation!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting