Pressurization in gas tank on VR6?

I have a 1996 Jetta GLX (VR6, 85K) with a sporadic failure in the EVAP emission control system. To try out one possible fix, I just put in a new VW gas cap, since a VW dealer parts guy (whom I respect) said that most aftermarket caps won't do a good enough sealing job on the gas tank. When I put in the new gas cap, I noticed that the "pressurized" sound of that little valve on the side of the tank inlet (near the cap) didn't occur. I used to be able to push that thing and hear a "pressurized" sound coming from it (like an open tire valve).

My question is: what causes that pressurization in the tank?

I am guessing that if the new gas cap doesn't solve my problem, it could be whatever causes that pressurization in the gas tank. Anyone know?

TIA, Bob

Reply to
Bob Navarro

You may very well have a vapor leak in the EVAP system.

Reply to
Woodchuck

If it is a vapor leak in the EVAP system, how would I diagnose it further? Or am I pretty much at the mercy of the dealer? (e.g., smoke machine or something)

BTW, I listened to the purge regulator valve at idle (stethosc> You may very well have a vapor leak in the EVAP system.

Reply to
Bob Navarro

Without having a way to scan the codes and start the diagnosis to run the pump to test the system it's kinda hard to do. But I can tell you this 90% of the leaks is caused by the evap tank located under the right front fender liner. It has a electronic valve at the bottom that goes bad but you must get the tank to get the valve.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for (i.e. based on others' experiences). I assume you are talking about what the Bentley manual calls the "charcoal canister", right?

Thanks for the help, Bob

====== Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Bob Navarro