Sonata 97 v6 stalls - Please give us some hints for repair

Hi folks, We bought a Sonata 97 v6 recently and from day one it stalls unpredictably, causing the power brakes and power steering to be reduced to their unassisted mode. Now, when we took the car to the Hyundai dealer to investigate the cause of the problem and repair it, they told us to change the Air Flow Meter because it is a common cause. We did, but did not fix the problem. Then we took it again to the dealer and they told us that the cause of the problem could be many things, all of them fairly expensive to repair, probably more than the cost of the car. At this stage we are stuck with a car that stalls at any time with a potentially dangerous situation and unable to identify and fix the problem on a cost-effective way.

If you have any hints or suggestions about this, please send me a personal email. We will be very grateful for that.

Thanks a lot. Andres.

Reply to
Andres

The first thing you should probably start with is a scan. Take it to a garage (some automotive aftermarket stores offer this service as well) and get the car scanned for stored codes.

Don't you have recourse with the seller of the car?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Have you been able to notice a pattern to the stalling?

Does it happen only at stops? Only when cold? Only after driving awhile? Only on acceleration? Does the car start back up normally? Does it run normally after restarting? How often does it stall?

The more information you can give, the more it will assist in making a good guess.

Unfortunately, the problem will be difficult to trace down without being able to do testing when the problem is occurring.

"Andres" wrote: > Hi folks, > We bought a Sonata 97 v6 recently and from day one it stalls > unpredictably, causing the power brakes and power steering to > be reduced > to their unassisted mode. Now, when we took the car to the > Hyundai > dealer to investigate the cause of the problem and repair it, > they told > us to change the Air Flow Meter because it is a common cause. > We did, > but did not fix the problem. Then we took it again to the > dealer and > they told us that the cause of the problem could be many > things, all of > them fairly expensive to repair, probably more than the cost > of the car. > At this stage we are stuck with a car that stalls at any time > with a > potentially dangerous situation and unable to identify and fix > the > problem on a cost-effective way. > > If you have any hints or suggestions about this, please send > me a > personal email. We will be very grateful for that. > > Thanks a lot. > Andres.

Reply to
Hyundaitech