Sonata Trip Computer Option

Sorry about the duplicate posting. For some reason, the first one posted as part of anther thread with the same title as my posting.

My wife just bought a 2007 Sonata, and we are both quite pleased with it. One thing we miss, though, is the trip computer we had on the 2004 Elantra we just traded in.

Since the owner's manual shows both types of Odometer (one with two trip meters, and one with a trip computer), and since the Trip Computer looks like an option ("if installed"), I asked today at the dealership, how much it would cost to install the trip computer.

The sales guys had no idea, and sent me to the parts department. They had no idea, and sent me to the service department. They had no idea, and I had to actually take both the sales guy and the service guy out to the car to show them that it was not installed.

Anyone have any idea what's involved with the "installation". I would assume (dangerous, I know) that it would be something like a programmable option (change of microcode perhaps?), or a plug-in module, or a jumper on a module, or perhaps a replacement module.

The reaction at the dealership leads me to believe that either the option should have been there, or that the question was never asked before I asked it.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

My understanding is that the dual trip meter is only available if you do not have the trip computer. I don't think you can get both.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 12:51:16 GMT, Matt Whiting posted:

Yes, I know that, but I am wondering how they would "install" the trip computer. I don't care about the dual trip meter, because the trip computer has a single trip meter as one of the displays you can cycle through.

Thanks for responding, though.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

Basically, they would need to replace the entire instrument cluster. The LCD display (and probably more) is different between the different types. Doing that would bring up another issue - vehicle mileage. The number of miles on the car is stored in it, so your car gets a sticker on the doorframe that says the miles on the clock are not what is really on the car. Not a good thing at trade in time. There might be a way around that (Hyundaitech???) but based on the blank stares you've been getting from everyone, they wouldn't likely have a clue.

Reply to
Bob

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 13:30:11 -0400, Bob posted:

Thanks for the response, Bob. I had not considered the different LCD displays. If that's the case, it sounds expensive to do.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

I had the same question when I bought my '05 Santa Fe....I noticed the trip computer in the owner's manual, so I asked my dealer.....They told me that it wasn't available in Canada and that you couldn't upgrade to one.... Might I suggest you just buy an aftermarket unit like a Scanguage or similar that just plugs into your jack near the steering column....they track all of your service codes too... Len

Reply to
Krazy Kanuck