Sparkplugs

any reccomendations for plugs for a 2006 Elantra?

Reply to
nothermark

Why would you need plugs on a new car? The stock plugs are good for at least 30K miles, perhaps as much as 60K. I just replace the plugs on my '04 with NGK V-power plugs. They're less than two bucks each and produce a hotter spark than platinum or iridium plugs. The downside is that they only last 15-30K miles.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

You've got 60k plugs in the car. At 60k, replace them with good quality plugs (such as NGK, Nippon Denso).

Reply to
hyundaitech

What about Bosch Platinum Plus 4 ? Ive heard from Hyundai owners that there was a noticable difference in performance and smoothness (before they were needed) after putting these in.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Probably will do 30K this year. Was thinking that changing them sooner rather than later is better. Also thinking easier to do in warm weather than cold.

;-)

PS. Thanks for the reply Hyundaitech. Now I will probably let them go until next spr>nothermark wrote:

Reply to
nothermark

I've got no personal experience with these particular plugs. My overall experience with Bosch plugs is positive.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Waste of money. The four electrodes are nothing but a gimmick.

Well, it's either due to the placebo effect or their plugs were really bad and putting in new ones restored the performance they had lost. ANY new plug would do that.

I agree with Hyundaitech that NGK and Nippon Denso are excellent plugs.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

You still only get one spark on most OEM ignition systems. They're pretty awesome if you've got a high voltage/current multi-spark ignition system like an MSD from what I hear.. If you don't have this, the additional electrodes just block fuel/air flow around the ignition area, which is a Very Bad Thing (tm).

I tried the Bosch single platinums in my Santa Fe.. I noticed a severe fuel economy/power loss with regular misfires. Checked to make sure all the connections were tight - they were... Replaced the plugs and the problem went away, go figure.

Spark plugs are cheap and easy to swap out, and unless you buy the wrong length (look it up and double check visually before installation), seal-type (wedge or washer) or heat range (not every parts store computer is correct - always check against the plug manufacturer's application sheet, these can always be found online)

Best plugs I've found so far for the 2.7 are the Champion Truck Plugs. They're copper so its easy on the ignition electronics, but last as long as most platinums (I'm at about 55k on these plugs so far on the 01, still have the same gap, no misfires, no typical champion 'blow-by' around the ceramic, and no noticable drop in fuel economy)

If you're into the cheezy OEM wire sets arcing-out and blown coil packs, stick to using the platinum plugs. Otherwise, look for a good copper plug.

JS

Reply to
JS

Exactly. The same is true of the 2 and 3 electrode plugs on the market. If your car has multi-spark ignition, you don't need multi electrode plugs, so there's still no benefit to them.

I've heard of reports of problems with Bosch plugs in Elantras as well. I don't think it's a quality issue, as they're well made, but perhasp they got the heat range wrong or something.

Yup.

Interesting. I'd never heard of them.

Like the NGK V-power plugs. The part number for the Elantra is BKR5E-11. Their standard copper plugs are #BKR5ES-11.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I bought 6 plugs at the dealer at $13 each at 60,000 miles, and put them in my 2002 XG350. A week later I find that a suitable equilivent plug (still platinum) is available for around $2.00 each at the auto parts store. I bought a set and repalaced the front three (the easy three) and have been driving that way for almost 30,000 miles now. I can't tell the difference. I won't know for another 30,000 how they look compared to the expensive ones, but I suspect they will look about the same. Check out your local auto store before spending $80 on a set of plugs.

Reply to
Dan K