Tires for my Santa Fe

Its about time to replace the tires on one of my 2007 Santa Fe's. It came with the Bridgestone Duelers but I haven't been impressed with the wear factor. I only have about 33,000 miles on the vehicle.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Anyone replaced the Bridgestone with a better tire?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Jim, I have an older model Santa Fe, a 2005. I recently replaced the OEM tires that came with it, Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires. I liked everything about the Long Trails except the road noise. It was pretty bad. However, I've never gotten over 50K on tires before so I checked out other tires in their line.

Based on Ratings on on Tirerack and other sites, I chose a later model of the same tire, The Goodrich Long Trail Tour T/A as my replacement. They ride handle and doe wet and dry roads as well or better than the ones they replaced and are very quiet. I haven't had the opportunity to see how they are in snow and ice yet but am confident they will be as good as the old tires.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Thanks, Jon. I will put them on my list to research. I'm not concerned about snow and ice since I live in florida.

Again, appreciate it and am waiting for other input.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

The four best tires I have seen for your application (that can usually be purchased for something less than needing to take out a mortgage) include:

+The B F Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour, previously mentioned; +The Bridgestone Dueler APT IV, sold at Sears - easily the best tire in the Dueler line (get the best deal the day after Thanksgiving); +The Cooper Discoverer CTS; +The General Grabber HTS.

They each have their respective strengths and weaknesses (Bridgestone and General will handle the best, but General will not be a long-wearing tire, Cooper will be the quietest and perform best in Winter, B F Goodrich will probably last the longest, etc.) but any of the four you will probably be very happy with.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Thank you Rev.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Rev. Tom,

I'll soon be in the market for tires on my Santa Fe, as well.

I was curious why you feel the Generals won't be long wearing, and that the BF Goodrich's will last the longest? The Generals have a tread rating of 640, while the BFG's have a tread rating of 580.

One other model I'm considering is the Kumho Road Venture APT KL51, which looks to have good reviews, too.

Ryan

Reply to
RMO87

Just to update my original post. As per usual, I'm overlooking others advice. Just seems to be the nature of many of us.

My 2002 Santa Fe Limited had Goodyear Eagle GT's on them. It had 70,000 miles plus on it when I traded it in.

So I am going with the Eagle GT's on my 07 Santa Fe Limited. They are being ordered today and I will get them put on Friday. But I appreciate all those that took the trouble to answer my plea.

Jim

Pls feel free to criticize my choice.

Reply to
Jim

The Generals have been tested by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack. The tire kind of "came out of nowhere" to blow away the rest of the competition as one of the best tested tires out there.

And while Tire Rack does not test for treadwear, Consumer Reports runs their own independent testing of that. While the General was extremely impressive in both dry and wet conditions, and was a relatively quiet and comfortable tire, its expected treadlife finished near the bottom of all the truck and SUV tires tested.

As for the B F Goodrich, which has not been tested by either entity, it is more of a reputation thing. The tire, manufactured by Michelin, has the first of the reviews coming in, and apparently wear is VERY satisfactory so far.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

It's too late now. But you need to know that the Eagle GT you had on a vehicle several years ago and the ones you just ordered are anything but the same tire.

Goodyear just came out with an all-new tire. Since Eagle GT moniker had been sitting idle since the previous tire by that name had been discontinued not long after you bought that last set, Goodyear resurrected the name.

A leading consumer magazine just tested the tire. It was OK overall, but not a stand-out in even a single area. Worse, it finished DEAD LAST in its group in terms of expected treadlife.

I hope you enjoy it. But considering your OEM tires were 'H'-rated, I never see much of a reason to go to an even higher speed rating, which you just did.

But, after you've had them awhile, and run them through some various c>> Rev. Tom,

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Thanks for replying Rev. Not so great news. But it is good to know that they are rated at 170 MPH or so. LOL.

It will take a while to come to some conclusion. But I really expect them to outlast the OEM tire which was 30 something thousand mile. ( I will rotate these every 5000 miles.)

The tires on my other santa fe same year are holding up a lot better, I turned 29000 miles today.

I will try to keep this in mind.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've narrowed down my list to these two for my '07 Hyundai Santa Fe.

--BFG Long Trail Touring

--Cooper Discoverer CTS

Anyone have any positive or negative experience with either one?

Thanks in advance! Ryan

Reply to
RMO87

Two excellent choices. Some owner blogs and more have identified the following:

*For snow traction, the Cooper is one of the best non-Winter tires you can buy. It is also unusually quiet for a truck/SUV tire. But on the downside, it does seem to extract a bit of a fuel mileage penalty. VERY competent in just about every other area.

*The B F Goodrich has been a very good tire at a competitive price since its inception. I have not been able to find one consistent trend of something it does not do at least reasonably well. By the same token though, it has not stood out beyond what other tires have done, like the couple of areas that the Cooper excelled in. But on the plus side, it also does not seem to be extracting a fuel economy penalty.

Bottom line - depending on what you want, one of these two will be your choice. And either way, I don't think you will be unhappy. In my world, I see how good of a deal I can get on the Coopers. If I can't, I get the B F Goodrich.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt