Warranty transfer for Elantra?

I see Hyundai has a 10yr or 100K miles powertrain warranty. So If I buy the 03 Hyundai Elantra from private seller I'm considering, is this warranty transferrable to a second owner? It is still about

13K miles away from 100K.
Reply to
geronimo

not sure if it has changed since the '01 model year, but on mine only 5 years / 60k miles of the powertrain warranty transferred.

90k on an '03? wow. I thought I drove a lot!

Reply to
Andre

No. The 10/100 warranty is for the original owner only.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ha! There is an 03 Elantra for sale on Ebay right now, and it states as buying points that there is still 52K miles left on the powertrain warranty, as it has 48K miles on odometer. Ditto for free towing/roadside assistance. You assume that they are pointing this out because it will transfer to new owner! Guess whoever buys that car will be a bit hacked.

Yea, this Elantra has averaged 30K a year....the owner sure does travel a lot! But his price is 6K, while the two current BUY IT NOW deals on Ebay for 03 Elantra are 8200 and 8900. thanks, Geronimo

Reply to
geronimo

I cannot honestly tell you whether 6k is a good price, but "Buy it Now" pricing on Ebay isn't necessarily an indicator of what the vehicle is worth, either. It seems to me that's more an indicator of what the seller thinks is the most he can possibly get for the vehicle.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Used to be that the 10/100 warranty would xfer if the second owner was in the immediate family of the first owner. (mother, father,son,daughter,brother sister.) I gave my son a 99 sonata and he had the xmission replaced at about 65K. I have heard that that is not the case anymore, but I don't know for sure or when it changed.

Reply to
Partner

That's correct. It doesn't transfer to family members anymore. The change was made beginning with the 2004 model year.

Reply to
hyundaitech