will it work: towing xcountry with Elantra 2003?

Reply to
nothermark

That rating in the link you provided has been quoted as very questionable in other threads that I saw. My manual allows for a 1000 pounds trailer w/out brakes. My dealer strongly discouraged me from twoing any trailers as I posted above.

Reply to
dns564

Did he give you a valid reason or is he just an idiot? There's no reason that you can't tow with an Elantra. I towed my utilty trailer with my old Excel without any problems. I haven't put a hitch on my Elantra yet, but that's only because I haven't needed to use the trailer.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Why don't you just ship your stuff?

It cost like $1 a pound with insurance.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

Why don't you just ship your stuff?

It cost like $1 a pound with insurance.

There's places where you can go and all you have to do is drop off your stuff. They shrink wrap it all on a skid.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

I really would like to, could you please elaborate on the procedure you have in mind, what places? I went to a post office, and they told me they will not ship a TV of this size (45x40x25 inches, 170-pounds). At FedEx I could not get a clear picture from a clerk I asked. Thanks. Denis

Reply to
dns564

Look in the yellow pages under "Shipping" etc.

The place I'm talking about was in Vancouver all I had to do was box everything I could, then drop it all off. A week later a transport truck dropped a pallet with all my stuff shrink wrapped on it off at my parent's house in Ontario.

I had guitars, three amps, a TV a standing mirror even and it was all fine.

Chris

Reply to
Guncho

I was trying to tactfully point out you rdealer was, at best, clueless. Hyundai engineered the tow capacity for the Elantra so it could compete with other cars like the Subaru's. I don't know what prompted them to do it but they did. On one hand in that class of vehicle it does not take a lot of work to go from 1000 to 3000 lb capacity. On the other hand there are a lot of folks who won't tow with a car because they are brainwashed to think they need a truck. They are wrong.

FWIW, I think you are looking at the wrong trailer. If it was me I would do one of two things.

  1. Buy a used open cargo trailer that will weigh about 300 to 400 lbs and then box the stuff you want to move. You will probably be able to trash the trailer for less than the rental fees. A used snowmachine trailer would be ideal as it has a windbreak on the front. That should be marketable at home,eh?
  2. Rent the smallest van you can get that will let you put your stuff in the truck and tow your car behind it. A tow dolly will suffice on the elantra as you can tow with the front wheels on the dolly and the rears free wheel anyway. I would also set it up to return the rental in the US, either Massena or Plattsburgh. This approach pretty much takes the worry off the car's capacity. You can load thngs in the car too as long as you don't get silly like filling it with books. I'd probably pu the TV and books/heavy things in the van and clothes, bedding, computers, etc in the car.
1 free opinion worth every cent paid for it, ;-)
Reply to
nothermark

Thank you,

Good ideas. I tend to think at this point that shipping would work for me the best.

Reply to
dns564