WI-FI connected Android Auto & CarPlay

I wonder what models, if any, are sold with head units that talk to our phones via WI-FI, in place of USB cable. I’ve got a 2019 Kona that still uses the cable connection. Luckily, I found a good WI-FI adapter that made it possible to get rid off that cable. It is from Ottocast.

Reply to
Cameo

I rent a Elanta / Sonata / Santa Fe or the Kia equivalent some where in US or Canada around once per month. As best that I can recall WiFi became standard with those models around 2019. Have never rented a Kona but would expect it to be like the others. It would probably cost too much to have the Kona be different. My guess is that a post WiFi unit is not swappable with a pre WiFi unit due to buss.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Since 2019? My Kona must have just missed its introduction. Bummer …

I agree.

Reply to
Cameo

My 2016 Tucson uses Bluetooth for making and receiving hands-free calls. It is also able to connect to the phone's wifi hotspot in order to get real-time traffic updates.

Or isn't that what you mean?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Bluetooth Connection To Phones has been around a long time, but BT does not have the band width to project the navigation video to the car’s head unit. That is why they needed USB connection. That USB cable can now be substituted with direct WI-FI on newer cars. That’s what I was talking about.

Reply to
Cameo