new tyres strange handling

just put two new tyres on the back of my disco, it now has a strange feel to the road holding. coming up the M1 Saturday it felt as if the steering had a lot of play in it, the disco was weaving slightly certainly did not feel right so I pulled on to hard shoulder checked the steering and it felt fine carried on driving sedately and it was ok. since then it seems that at around 50 mph if you veer side to side slightly its as if the back end is moving slightly sort of like the roll is worse, certainly a strange feeling. the old tyres on the front are Goodyear and the new on the back are marshals (the old were Goodyear and it drove fine), all are inflated to the manuals figures, 26 psi front 34 psi back. any suggestions? I think at the weekend I will put the new on the front and see if its any better.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

In message , Paul writes

Are your wheel nuts tight ?

Reply to
Marc Draper

I put 4 new tyres on my Disco, Goodyear Wranglers, drove away from the garage in my usual way only to feel myself drifting all over the road. Quickly slowed down and pottered home after checking that the tyre pressures were OK. It went away after a couple of hundred miles. I put it down to the tyres runnuing in and wearing off the little spikes.

Peter.

Reply to
Pete S

hopefully that's what my problem is, think I'll leave it a couple of weeks and see how it goes

Reply to
Paul

if they are not balanced properly, the tyres can set up vibrations at particular speeds which can cause all manner of wierd handling. the place near me charges $5 per tyre (aussie dollars) to balance if you bring the tyre in already off the car, so i can't imagine it being much more wherever you are. Worth a try.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

On or around Tue, 8 Nov 2005 19:19:28 -0000, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

I've an idea that brand-new tyres still have slippery stuff on 'em sometimes from the moulding process, take a few miles to wear off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Definitely. When you get new tyres on a motorbike they are very slippery for the first few (tens of) miles. Have to go very carefully round corners, and 'scrub them in' by weaving bizarrely at low speed to get the slippery stuff off of the edges of the tyres. It is the same with car tyres, but you don't have to do the weaving thing because the profile is flat to the road, rather than curved.

If that made sense.

Reply to
Ray

I thought that might be the case when I put some new rear tyres on my jaguar, however after a couple of thourand miles it still wants to put the back-end out far more readily than I'd like, fitted dunlops in replacement of near-bald pirellis (on it when i got it). It has kumho's on the front and the front end grips like its velcro.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

My new BFG AT's certainly felt 'iffy' for the first hundred miles, maybe more.

Reply to
Paul - xxx